Out Of State Car Registration And Insurance

Great post and thanks for the info. I try not to be all doom and gloom about these things even though in my humble opinion they are a huge PITA. To tell you the truth I thought of doing what your friend is doing. And I’ve thought of the bike thing. Or maybe a moped! Easier than a car and cheaper. To tell you the truth, this car is so old that my next thread will probably be “How Do I Junk A Car With Out Of State Plates?” I’m already an expert on junking cars when they’re in NY!

That sounds like a real PITA, it sounds like your company needs a different tax home; why don’t you just move it out of NH, or use a different company when you do work in MA? Can’t you just keep you “work location” in NH and just visit MA? BTW, how did MA find out that you existed if you were working through a NH company?

When I do consulting I’m usually working AT the customers site…which in this case was in MA. They didn’t pay me directly…I was paid through a third-party company (consultant firm) for my contract services. This third party is in NH. I Live in NH…the third party consulting firm is in NH (actually about 1 mile from my house)…but because I was working ON-SITE in MA…I was subject to MA income tax.

Ouch, It sounds like you are stuck unless you can make other contract arrangements.

There’s a reason Massachusetts is called Taxachussetts.