Out Of State Car Registration And Insurance

I figured NY would have higher rates due to the fact that more cars get stolen. I guess it depends on the region.

That’s so funny! Typical State Vs. Local!

Do you mean for living in the state without changing the plates or for people who may just be tourists? It is typical. Nonsense and so unecessary.

I had thought of that. I don’t really know if they insure in this state. I’m assuming they do as its a well known national company. However, I remember that a few years ago I was considering a move to NJ and they told me they weren’t allowed to insure there. The last thing I need is to have to get a new policy. My credit isn’t the greatest and I’m not sure I’d be able to.

These are guys who are going to be living in a hotel and working in the state for about a month. There is probably some law that says you are supposed to change your license and registration after a couple of weeks of “residence,” whatever that means. They just know that most of these folks are to busy working 12 hour days to go to court and argue about a couple of $100.

Fortunately, my passenger was an employee of a federal agency who showed some ID and got me out of the ticket.

Glad to hear it. That’s just insanity.

Some companies might not SELL insurance in all states, but you can be sure your policy is VALID in all states. Otherwise travel in the U.S. would be impossible. Remember, if asked, you are just visiting…Staying with friends for a few weeks…

I figured NY would have higher rates due to the fact that more cars get stolen. I guess it depends on the region.

That’s ONLY in NYC…The rest of NY state is NOT anything like NYC. And the amount of cars stolen would account for very very little in ones overall insurance. The Boston area has one of the highest percapita accidents rates in the country…thus the very high insurance rates.

I suspect you would rather pay NH income tax than NY income tax

Since I work in MA and pay MA income tax it doesn’t matter. When I moved to NH from Upstate NY (I was living in Syracuse at the time)…I moved to a city in NH about 1/3rd the size of Syracuse…and my insurance TRIPPLED. You pay income tax on where you work…NOT where you reside.

“You pay income tax on where you work…NOT where you reside.”

Actually, you pay income tax on where you work; I pay income tax where my company resides, not where I happen to be located when I do work (about 8 different states this year).

I do understand your problem, I spent several years working in boston while living in salem, londonderry, and derry. I would become a subcontractor and incorporate my business in NH if I was doing that job again today.

On the topic of inspection stickers: If your NY inspection sticker expires, it does not matter in any other state besides NY, as far as cops are concerned. State inspections are only under the jurisdiction of the state where they are issued. However, in the state of NC, the inspections are computer tracked and if you forget to renew, you are either penalized or possibly your registration could be canceled. I’m not sure if this is the case for NY though.
If it were me, I would switch to NC plates and keep them as long as you can. The savings in insurance is significant. I used to live in NC and I kept my plates and registration for a year after I moved.
I am a poor artist too.

Good morning fellow poor artist! Thanks so much for this info. I had an old clunker once that I knew would never get through New York Metro’s (NYC, Boroughs, Westchester, Rockland) draconian emmissions standard so since I didn’t want to spend a billion dollars getting it fixed I just kept getting tickets when I was pulled over. It was actually cheaper. The DMV doesn’t bother you if its expired but if you don’t do it by the time the registration is up they won’t let you renew. So by the time it was ready to renew I just bought another clunker I knew would pass. This was a few years back so perhaps its changed. My most recent car passed all the NY inspections with limited work needing to be done.

Once I bought a used car from someone who had just had it inspected and a buddy of mine who used to be a highway cop came along with me since I needed a ride to the DMV. I went to take the sticker off and replace it with the temp sticker since NY law says the new owner has to have it inspected within 10 days. My friend looks at me and says “Leave it alone, the guy just did it. I’ve been pulling people over for 25 years. Do you honestly think we check? We just look to make sure the date hasn’t expired.” I had the inspection done anyway but that’s typical NY for you.

My assumption here is that you moved from NC to NY. How is the inspection down here in NC? I see they have “stations.” In NY you just get the mechanic to do it. CT and NJ have stations and when they were thinking of trying that in NY a few years back we all went crazy. The problem in NY is that they make the mechanics buy new emmissions equipment about every five minutes for thousands of dollars and of course, that spending is passed along to you in the form of “We had to change your blinker for $100 which you could have done yourself for $1.00”. Not all mechanics of course. My guy was great. He would do what needed to be done to get a car to pass and always call you first to let you know.

Since my current car is older than the one Barney Rubble used to drive I only carry basic liability which costs me about $550 a year. That’s fairly cheap although my area of NY had extremely low rates. Do you think it would be that much cheaper in NC?

Thanks again. Best of luck in your artistic pursuits!

I ran into a similar situation when my parents move to another state, my first year of college (yes, it was several years ago). I chose to register my car at the house of a family member, avoiding the hassles of moving my tags and insurance from FL to GA. Another thought, some states require higher minimums than others if the car is “garaged” there for a certain period of time, so check with NC to make sure that your NY minimums meet up. (as if NY could be lower than NC)

Finally… if you decided to transfer to NC, keep in mind that NC charges property tax on the value of vehicles that are titled there. (a nasty little surprise I found out when I lived there)

Thanks. I was not aware of the “garaged” thing. I had heard about the tax deal from a friend who lives down here. I know they do the same thing in CT. My car ought to be about a dime. In fact, they ought to pay me.

if you are a student (relocating for a temporary school year) you dont have to re register you car, or re insure it. (if this is a temporary move) i know this because i went through this for both my kids.

ask your insurance company, about how a temporary move would effect you. im willing to bet it wont effect you at all.

as far as the inspection sticker, you arent held accountable for that if you are out of state, but if it worries you, why not just go get another one before you leave?? you can get it done early.

Thanks for the info on the student rule. I’d have to drive 1000 miles round trip to get another inspection sticker and to be honest, that would cost more than the sticker.

If you do not notify your insurance company they have a right to cancel you, without even notifying you in advance.

You could only say it is a temporary move if you maintain a permanent NYS residence and return there in the interim (i.e.pay rent or own property). Do not think a P.O. Box would work.

pay income tax where my company resides, not where I happen to be located when I do work (about 8 different states this year).

That may depend on the state. Massachusetts has really cracked down on this in the past 10 years. I was in a middle of a consulting job when MA started to crack down on it. I worked in MA…but I was paid by a consulting firm in NH. For 4 months of my contract I didn’t pay a income tax…but the last 10 months I was forced to pay MA income tax. NOW…if I lived in CT or Maine or NY at the time…I would NOT have been taxed by MA…because those states do have a income tax and have a recipical agreement with MA.

Now what gets me is the people who live in MA and work in NH…and have to pay MA income tax.

And the WORSE…Is Maine…if you are married and you live in Maine…and either you or your spouse work in another state…then when you file your Maine state taxes the taxes is based on your COMBINED income.

“That may depend on the state. Massachusetts has really cracked down on this in the past 10 years. I was in a middle of a consulting job when MA started to crack down on it. I worked in MA…but I was paid by a consulting firm in NH. For 4 months of my contract I didn’t pay a income tax…but the last 10 months I was forced to pay MA income tax. NOW…if I lived in CT or Maine or NY at the time…I would NOT have been taxed by MA…because those states do have a income tax and have a recipical agreement with MA.”

That sounds like a real PITA, it sounds like your company needs a different tax home; why don’t you just move it out of NH, or use a different company when you do work in MA? Can’t you just keep you “work location” in NH and just visit MA? BTW, how did MA find out that you existed if you were working through a NH company? Fortunately, I haven’t had to do anything in MA for a few years (I’ll have to be careful).

Right after I moved from NC, they changed the inspection protocol. It used to be done by any good ol boy mechanic, but now there are stations, and it costs more money. Your insurance rate sounds pretty cheap; I was paying about $400/yr in NC. You can just call an insurance company (other than your own) and ask for a quote to find out. I have a friend who lives in a van and travels all over the country. She has a couple of PO boxes. The point is, that there are all sorts of types with all sorts of situations besides typical mainstream, and they manage. Some of us are self-employed, sublet our apts, and ride a bicycle for most of the year. Or, er, maybe that is just me. :wink: