Our car was totaled

What’s up everyone, hope everyone is doing well. We lost our Grandmarquis in a auto accident. We’re pretty heartbroken about it. The car only had 34 thousand miles on it, it was a 1993. We got t boned. Thank God it was a heavy car, over 3 thousand pounds. I still ended up in the hospital though and needed 2 pints of blood but Praise Jesus i made it. Anyway the insurance company said the call was totaled but gave it a salvage rebuildable title when they auctioned it off so i guess they thought it cost more to repair it than to just give us the book value. If i would have known they were going to give it a rebuildable title i would have agued and tried to have them repair it because it was our only means of transportation. The reason i’m posting today is i found a car for sale online. It’s a 1999 Grand marquis they “claim” it only has 9,313 miles but i find that way to hard to believe but they did give me the vin number so i can get a carfax report. But the odometer reads as follows 093132 to me that seems like 93 thousand miles but I’m used to a digital odometer so can some please tell me is this 9 thousand miles or ninety thousand miles.

No photos? Of the odometer? I’d require a VIN before doing anything else. Private party ad? Something seems off about this…

And if it actually has those super low miles, that’s not necessarily a good thing. Lot of parts require changing according to time, not just miles. A pre-purchase inspection by a trusted mechanic would be a ‘must do’ in this situation.

2 Likes

The car has 9,313.2 miles.

!996-2022 Grand Marquis odometer.

Tester

1 Like

Or 109313.2

3 Likes

99 with digital display
Capture

99 with mechanical display

3 Likes

It could be 9,300, 93,000 or the speedo could have been replaced and it could be literally anything.
As others mentioned, first run the VIN and even then approach the entire transaction very skeptically.

It’s a 23 year old car so 93,000 miles translates to an average of 4,000 miles per year. That’s well below average but I actually have a 2015 with only 24,000 miles, also an average of 4,000 miles per year but in my case the special circumstances are that I’m retired, have had 4 other cars which were used for ordinary general use, keep the car garaged and keep extensive Time Based Dealer Service documentation.

So the mileage is possible and it may be a good deal BUT you need PROOF and never, ever, ever, accept the Sellers “Word” without proof !!!

1 Like

Might seem a paradox, but a 23 year old car with 93,000 miles on the clock is probably going to be more reliable than the same car with 9,300 miles. Cars just don’t age well if they aren’t driven frequently, and at least occasionally at freeway speeds.

2 Likes

This is the odometer photo they sent me

The vehicle has 93,132 miles.

Tester

6 Likes

ok thank you , that’s what i was think even though the ad said 9,313

Is there a reason you’re not looking for a much newer car?

This would be a good time to upgrade to a newer used car with more safety features, better fuel economy, etc.

3 Likes

we would love to get a newer one but can’t afford it right now.

1 Like

Okay

Fair enough

1 Like

Let me just raise the red flags. You found the car on line. The owner doesn’t know if the car has 9,000 miles or 93,000 miles. That’s quite a large margin. I can’t believe any owner would not know the difference. I would proceed with caution. Are they the owner? Is there even a car? Will you get a message that someone else is interested so quick send some money to save it?

6 Likes

Folks here recommend a used car buyer obtain a pre-purchase inspection before writing any checks. Paid for by the buyer, and done by the buyer’s mechanic. $100-$200, money well spent. Make sure the inspection includes a check of the OBD II readiness monitors.

3 Likes

Yeah i’m going to pass on this car, i mean i really want to get my mom another Grand marquis but not this one. If their being deceptive on the miles who knows what else they are lying about.

2 Likes

ok thank you for letting me know, i will make sure i do that. Our neighbor is a mechanic but is in another field of work, i was thinking about asking him but i don’t want to impose so i’ll just go to our old mechanic i guess. But sometimes i worry if they do see something wrong they won’t say because they want the repair work down the road lol

1 Like

Why not get her something smaller , more fuel efficent , newer with more safety features and not something that parts are going to be hard to get .

1 Like

Yeah i think my mom would like something newer but i know she wants something just as big because that car saved our life, it was a tank. Maybe someday God willing, right now we just can’t afford anything newer.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt, some people are not familiar with various vehicles, this could have been their grandfather’s car. Some people assume odometers display miles in “tenths”. Many old Fords only displayed tenths of a mile in the trip meter.

Fuel economy is of little concern if you only drive 100 miles each month.

2 Likes