Oslo bans cars!

Thank you , Carolyn.

Drive through the Rockies. When you get to the first pass and look out over the expanse of the mountain range, you’ll understand why they called those that put down roots in Denver settlers. “Oh heck no! This will do” :grinning:

2 Likes

Nobody moves there anymore: it’s too crowded. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/upshot/happy-new-year-may-your-city-never-become-san-francisco-new-york-or-seattle.html

I was driving a friend around my old home town up in the Rockies once. He was complaining because we were in a naturally aspirated rental car that didn’t have much power at sea level, much less 10,000 feet, and the climb up to the top was sloooow. “I don’t know how people put up with this!” I pointed out that the pioneers did it in covered wagons with naturally-aspirated horses, and didn’t have nice paved roads. :wink:

2 Likes

I think that Oslo has a good plan for their city, but I believe that it’s more than just giving the city back to it’s people. It sounds to me more like an anti-terrorist plan to limit collateral damage from car bombs. As for traveling in the U.S., I’m not as young as I used to be with the urge to see what’s over the next mountain. I grew up on an island with 2 cities. It takes 15 min to drive between them or 2 1/2 hrs to go completely around the island. I spent 16 yrs on the “Mainland” which is the big island that you live on. I drove from Ca to Fl, the Alcan from Vancouver to Tok, Ak, and from Sacramento to Ensenada. I thought the town of Timbucktoo was a myth until I was actually there. If I went today, I’d fly and rent a car, and it’s easier to watch National Geographic on tv. If you can drive to a scenic place, “GO”! Take the wife & kids and save that for your memoirs.