Oslo bans cars!

I never saw the point of boating over to that island either. You couldn’t appreciate what it looks like from that close anyway. It’s better looking at it from a distance. The best viewing angle imo is from the Staten Island ferry.

See, I’ve been there but I drove there-most of the way anyway then by boat. Before GPS and Nav systems, the wife was reading the map to get out of there and in frustration just handed it to me to figure out while I was driving. A confusing place that New York ya all got there.

You are correct. There is also a great view of the back of the Statue fom Liberty Science Museum in Jersey City.

That reminds me of something a pilot buddy of mine said about flight simulators. “Flight simulators come as close to actually flying as masturbation comes to real sex”.

2 Likes

Choose your money pit, owning a car, or renting a Manhattan apartment.

2 Likes

But if you simulate too long, you start to think it is the real thing! :smile:

I used that argument on PhD’s with PC’s creating results that didn’t match the TEST data, and arguing with me about the validity of the simulation!

1 Like

Here’s are two more:

1. The National Zoo its part of the Smithsonian Institution, and you paid for it! Smokie the Bear is gone now, though. I saw him as a child.

2. Fort McHenry. That’s the place that saved America for you during the War of 1812.

Both are accessible only by driving through the city. Actually, almost all of the Smithsonian exhibits are in DC.

I think it’s all relative. My daughter may pay $2,000 per month for a one room apartment, and if she had a car, would pay $450 per month to park it, but she got a job paying $100k within 6 weeks of graduating college. You are not going to get a salary like that fresh out of school in west cupcake, Nebraska.

2 Likes

Me neither, but I’ve only been here 11 years.

This discussion reminds me. Last month I went to Wyoming — Grand Teton is incredible to my concrete-accustomed eye, and if my trivia is correct, the only national park containing an airport. Anyway, time came to leave and my friend, who just moved to the area a couple of months ago, turned on his car’s nav system and took me through the Elk Refuge to try to find bighorn sheep before I left. He turned on the nav and just followed it…but pretty soon the road disappeared under us and became two faint ruts on a whole lot of rocks and snow. Somehow the Audi sedan survived, but he wished he took the Suburban. One of his neighbors works for the Parks Service, and said that they’ve tried to get the maps changed but they have to go retrieve people pretty regularly because they weren’t as lucky as we were.

3 Likes

Yes, but in small town Nebraska, you don’t need to make $100k to live well and living in a cramped one room apartment is not most people’s idea of “living well”. Those who don’t confuse passing money around in a circle with wealth tend to prefer small town America.

1 Like

And that is precisely why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

1 Like

I agree with you, but more people choose what cities offer, even if that means living in 1 small room - they live in a larger world culturally.

Small-town America is shrinking and getting poorer; big-city America is growing and getting wealthier (materially). Even the meaning of poverty has become what big-city America produces: electronics, medical care, TV, movies, music, airplanes… that even small-towners want.

A guy named Maddox made a video called “The things suck about New York” and one of the things he talks about is how New Yorkers favorite past time is talking about how great NYC is because they think they are the center of the universe. Another is how NYC subways- at the time of the video in 2012- relies on paper attached to the walls with scotch tape to let people know about schedule changes and closings.

I’m chuckling because of the language warning. You’ll hear people speaking like that any place you go in New York. If you’re sensitive about what used to be called “bad” language, you don’t want to spend time there.

My buddy’s mom used to send him socks from her Long Island home to his place in Ohio because she didn’t know if they had clothes stores in Ohio. Pretty much how NY area people have no clue about anything west of Philly.

Come on, there are stupid people everywhere, including Ohio, Minnesota, Florida, Maryland, and New York.

Never called them stupid… Ignorant, maybe, but ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever!

2 Likes

I only posted it because I know this forum is one of the more family friendly ones I visit and don’t want the mods getting mad at me for not giving a warning.

I also don’t want to spend ANY time in NYC if I can ever help it. The entire population of my state crammed into 400 square miles just doesn’t appeal to me.

1 Like

There are pluses and minuses wherever you are. I don’t want to live in NYC, I don’t want to live in Ohio, or anywhere but my current home. It has nothing to do with those places. I’m sure I could be happy in any of them, but I’ve made a good life where I am now, and I don’t want to change it.

Can we get back to cars, please? Ho ho ho.

PS I did remove the video linked above. Language was a bit too much for the forum, as @bscar2 warned.