Original Carburetor Identification

How would I know for sure what carburetor was originally installed on my 1966 Charger? A former owner lost the original carb years ago; he installed an Edlebrock 4-bbl. The 361-cid V-8 was available with a 2-bbl only in '66. If I was to seek an original mid- to late '60’s 2-bbl carb and intake manifold, how would I verify its authenticity?
That said, I don’t mind the 4-bbl carb on this car, but it must be stock, like the 4-bbl carb installed on the 383-cid engine option for this car. I’ll be heading to the Mopar Nationals this weekend and plan to browse through the vendors and get me a genuine 1960’s 4-bbl and air cleaner setup. I need help identifying the parts I want. Getting a right-side rear-view mirror is easy, the engine stuff is a challenge for me.

Thanks, folks.

I bet a Mopar forum would have guys that know this off the top of their (balding) heads.

Years ago I used to change all of my 2-bbl carbs out for 4-bbl setups. Fuel economy was usually better until I stepped into the secondaries.

A stock intake manifold will be cast iron, so if you find a cast iron manifold, it will be OEM, I don’t believe anyone made an aftermarket cast iron manifold. The 2 barrel carb was NOT a Holly, that much I do remember. I"m pretty sure it was a Carter carb, but it could have been a Rochester. I had a 66 Dodge Coronet wagon with the 361, but I sold it it in 92. Haven’t seen one since.

If all else fails, Googling doesnt find it for you, etc, visit your local public libary and look at their Mitchells repair manuals for that make/model/year. They usually have that kind of info. It’s worth a shot anyway.

I’m on the way out right now but took a quick look at a few publications I have and it’s mind numbing lengthy as to carb type and so on. I’ll be back on here later this evening after I put my glasses on and try to decipher that maze of numbers.

Right now it looks like a Carter (common with Mopars) but there’s also a hundred or so variants; much like a Quadrajet. I’ll research the intake manifold casting numbers also. Back later tonite and hope I can help.

I’d have a hard time putting a ‘correct’ 2 bbl, instead of a ‘period correct’ 4 bbl. Why give up both the fun and the (slightly) better mpgs? We’re not talking a '32 Duesenberg…

Chrysler’s of that time period usually came with Carter carburetors…These (and most other) carbs came with a little metal tag attached to one of the top screws. These tags had number codes on them used to identify the model of the carb…When you called a parts store to get a rebuild kit, they would ask for that tag number in order to provide you with the correct kit…So by looking up the tag numbers used on 1966 Chargers, you will have a starting point in your search for the “correct” carburetor…Chrysler did not use Carter carbs exclusively. On some of their high performance engines, they used Holly 4-barrels or even two Holly 4-barrels. The 361-383 engines all used Carter carburetors as I recall…You are looking for a Carter AFB. They are all pretty much the same except for jetting and the choke set-up.

I waded through the mire of numbers in my books and after all of that cannot give a definitive answer.
As to intake manifold casting numbers the 361 is pretty much omitted and the carburetor numbers were too hazy to sort out.
The only intake casting I could come up with was 2205968 but it wasn’t specific as to being a 2 or 4 barrel intake.

Just my 2 cents but I’m a stickler for originality and while a 2 barrel is not as cool as the 4 barrel I’d have to find a date coded 2 barrel intake, carb, and air cleaner for the car.

I do agree that the AFB would be a correct 4 barrel with the AVS coming around in the late 60s.
The carbs were similar except that the AVS had more junk attached to it.

I agree about the AFB, they were pretty popular in the early and middle '60s with GM and Chrysler.

The really funny thing about all this is that unless I’m much mistaken that Edelbrock carburetor you’re looking to replace is a new clone of the old AFB.

Are you planning on making this a show car? If so, swapping back to the original carb is understandable, and please post a picture of the car.

If not, why bother? The Edelbrock, unless there’s something wrong with it, probably offers better performance, mileage, and possibly better cold starts and driveability. Though I’d have to say that the Carter carb I had on my old New Yorker was flawless…

The 66 Charger was a Coronet with a modified roof line.

The 66 Charger was a Coronet with a modified roof line. You may have better luck cross referencing the Coronet instead of the Charger. I don’t thing there were many 66 Chargers produced, even in the day, they were kinda rare.