Oldsmobile Bravada

I have a 2000 oldsmobile bravada. When I’m driving i press the gas and it sous not accelerate. The engine revs but it does not go. Then it will engage and will drive fine. Can you tell me what the problem is?

I would be very surprised if this is not a transmission problem, as you have given us the classic description of a trans that is slipping.

The first step is to check the trans fluid level, color, and odor.
It should be red and should not have a burnt odor.
If the fluid is brown or black, and/or if it smells burnt, that is…not good.
If the fluid is of a normal red color and does not smell burnt, but is low, replenish it with the correct type of fluid. This vehicle calls for one of the various Dexron-type trans fluids, and your Owner’s Manual will tell you which one you need.

If the level is low, then you need a mechanic to figure out where the trans is leaking, as trans fluid does not evaporate. However, the cost of fixing a slow leak may not be worthwhile on a vehicle that is at least 12 years old.

If the fluid is dark and/or burnt-smelling, you should immediately take it to a specialized trans shop. Whatever you do, DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or any other chain–unless you want to be told that you need a trans overhaul, whether you really do or not. Look for an independent trans shop that has been in business for several years, and you will get a more accurate diagnosis, better workmanship, and almost surely a lower price.

Incidentally, automatic transmissions need to have their fluid and filter changed every 3 years or 30k miles (whichever comes first), even if the mfr’s maintenance schedule does not specify this service. I have followed that regimen with all of my cars, and none of them has ever had a transmission problem, despite a high number of odometer miles. Your trans fluid should have been changed at least 4 times so far. Has that been done?