Oldest cambelt

@circuitsmith

Maybe so

In that case, OP doesn’t have any clue how lucky he’s been

Maybe he doesn’t even know there is such a thing as an interference engine

He might be in for a rude awakening some day :naughty:

I’ve met my share of the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” set. A very responsible retired accountant in our hiking group had a Honda Accord. Other than oil changes he refused to do any maintenance, regarding service shops as clip joints.

His car was mercifully destroyed by a tornado before the timing belt broke.

OP should realize that unlike lizards growing new tails, cars can’t grow new timing belts when the old one breaks.

And the government cannot legislate timing belts that last the life of the car. Living in a nanny state too long can develop such a mentality.

The Oldest Cambelt is analogous to the luckiest Russian Roulette player

At SOME point you are going to be very, very unhappy!

It is like some people want to fun their chances, sure occasionally it works, but we have seen more than enough posts in this forum that if you play the odds your chances of surviving a recommended maintenance is probably not for the average risk taker.

Just rediscovered this thread - thanks to you all for responses, especially the understanding George S Jose - yes, it is indeed an experiment on a now almost worthless old car (17yr old Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec engine). Now at 124,000m, still going strong, no suspicious noises or smells. Russian roulette is a false analogy - I can inspect the belt and make a judgement as to its likely longevity. Anyway, I think the most likely misfortune would be failure of the tension pulley, not the belt. Oh, and the engine is interference - UK fuel prices mean we can’t afford the thirsty non-interference designs.

Some, but when you think on it, the average temperature where you are is 19C, and the engine runs quite a bit hotter than that, and at least some of that heat is going to soak the timing belt.

I actually think you’re partially right factually, but depending on the engine and use of the car, entirely wrong in practice. Timing belt replacement intervals are deliberately set very conservatively. It’s entirely likely that a timing belt could go twice, or more, its service interval without breaking. But if your car happens to have an interference engine, and you happen to have a belt from the wrong side of the bell curve which breaks 200 miles after you were supposed to replace it, you’ve now gone from a relatively cheap belt change to an engine overhaul, which in practical terms often means replacing the car because putting that much money into an old car isn’t always worth it.

Personally, I replace the belt on schedule in any car with an interference engine. For my non-interference MR2 which is only used as a summertime toy, I’m just waiting for it to break before I replace it, and it’s currently 24 years old with 180,000 miles on it. I anticipate it will break at any time, but that’s OK, because I have a towing club membership and will get a free tow back home to do the job then, but if I had to rely on it as my daily driver I’d have replaced the belt a long time ago to avoid unscheduled downtime.

How exactly will the tension pulley fail? Catastrophic, and without warning? Or grow weak and fail slowly?

If you can afford the time, expense, and inconvenience of the tension pulley or the belt failing at the worst possible moment, then keep experimenting. If not, I suggest you replace it when the manufacturer suggests to do so.

1 Like

Although reputable companies test timing belts at twice the recommended interval and most should pass this mileage, this is done in a lab.

In real life, belts suffer from start/stop, very cold start ups, very hot environments and so on. The longest I heard was someone who drove a Toyota 170,00 miles which was mostly highway driving.

When in doubt, follow the manufacturer’s schedule.

It’s interesting that Gates recommends more frequent changes than the manufacturer of the vehicle.

Wouldn’t you, if you were selling them?

;-]

2 Likes

I think it’s more CYA statement than trying to sell more belts. Most of their recommendations are 60,000 miles or so and they will slowly increase that as time goes on.

Gates has a good reputation and wants to keep it that way.

1 Like

No you can’t. I’ve seen belts that look perfectly good, then within 2 days they break.

If you have a non-interference engine then wait til it breaks. And hopefully when it breaks it’s convenient. I had one break on me while I was on the highway. Luckily I was close to an exit and just coasted to the exit, down the ramp and pulled over on a side street. I put a new belt on in less then an hour (chevy Vega - real easy job) and on my way.

Interference engine----it’s your car - do with as you please. But a timing belt breaks on an interference engine, then you’re looking at a new engine.

4 Likes

+1
Visual inspections of timing belts are only good in one respect.
If visual inspection reveals a belt that is beginning to shred and/or that shows signs of cracking, then the owner is well-advised to change it immediately.

However, a timing belt that looks pristine can snap within hours or days, and that is why a prudent car owner will change the belt on the schedule recommended by the vehicle mfr.

:thinking:

4 Likes

+2.
A visual inspection can detect a belt ready to fail, but cannot detect the potential life of a belt without visual issues. That’s exactly why manufacturers recommend changing them periodically and not just inspecting them.

2 Likes

I have to ask…What’s next?
Will the OP or others have a debate on how long one can go without changing his/her underwear?

Yes, there will always be people who want to “push the envelope”, but I am not interested in doing that with either vehicle maintenance or personal hygiene.
:mask:

2 Likes