Older Luxury or Newer Economy?

I have similar question. I have a Ford Escape that I love, will not give it up. But I do need to get a sedan, to transport my elderly mother (she can’t get into the Escape). So, since it is just for weekends, I thought I might have some fun and get like a 1989 450SL or whatever the model was back then. Could pick it up for $7500 and just take her for Sunday drives. But what I don’t know is whether I am in for a world of frustration. I might be better off buying a current sedan (chevy malibu, chrysler 300, or hyundai)… any advice? I saw the movie Beaches again and she is driving away in a 1989 BMW 2-door Convertible and I just lust after it.

You’d be much better off if you posted this as a separate question. More people would respond. You’re attaching your question to another post that is dying out.

Good luck with that.

Be that as it may;

ANY used 450SL, regardless of the price you pay, will be a financial nightmare. You might think you’re getting a bargain at $7,500, but I’ll bet you will easily double your money in the first year to eighteen months.

And that’s just the start.

Same applies, to a slightly lesser degree, to an older BMW.

I don’t know what your financial position is, but let me suggest this: if you’re not a rich person, stay away from any of the Euro-brands. They are all EXTREMELY expensive to own and maintain. There are no exceptions.

If, on the other hand, money is no object, by all means, buy and enjoy a fine car, such as a BMW or a Mercedes Benz. If you can afford the luxury I wish you well. Your mother will love you if you pick her up in a Mercedes.

She will probably love you just as much, however, if you pick her up in an Accord or Camry.

I guess the question is; are you buying a sedan for your mother or for yourself?

You might think you’re getting a bargain at $7,500, but

Didn’t one poster say “there’s no such thing as a cheap Mercedes”

On topic:
the Malibu is a good choice, as one poster just mentioned. Check out Buick or Pontiac as well.

How about a Toyota Avalon? They are a bit classier than Camry’s and come with leather and alot of bells and whistles. You can drive them forever. I have a 1997 Avalon with 227,000 miles that I have driven for over two years and put 60,000 miles on with very little maintenance.