Old tranny, long road trip

Planning a road trip from PA to northwest ND with a 2001 Toyota Sienna. Vehicle has 250,000 miles. What is the best way to prepare and treat the vehicle on this long trip to avoid breakdowns, especially the transmission? How long should the vehicle rest along the way, etc.

As long as your maintenance is up to date (all fluids are fresh and full) thats the best you can do. I dont think any kind of rest interval will help much. Thats mainly for the human element.

If it were my car there would be a fresh oil change, fresh coolant (depending on when it was done last) , and I hope your transmission fluid has been changed at the scheduled intervals. Tire pressure and brakes inspected, windshield wiper fluid and new windshield wipers. All headlights/high beams, taillights/brake lights, turn signals inspected. Thats about it. Not really anything else you can do.

Take along a good cellphone…a smart phone would be even better.

I’d bring along the Title too. Not to be negative here, but with 250,000 miles…it’s down hill from here. Then if it does break down and is unrepairable, you can have it hauled away and fly home.

Yosemite