Old Fashioned VW Van Adventure

I don’t have a problem with air-cooled VWs, be they Types 1 through 4, and have owned half a dozen of them. Only 1 of them was a Bus ('59 that I put a '67 motor in) and it was not a problem. They got driven all over the place.

However, the big issue that I would have with the Bus other than being underpowered a bit would be the stability issue. They’re a bit top-heavy on narrow tires and at highway speeds (whatever that is) a passing truck or strong winds will require you to keep both hands on the wheel and stay alert at all times. You’re also talking about a loaded down VW Bus so the problem could be potentially worse depending on how heavy that load is.
Being behind the wheel of a loaded Bus and descending an 8% mountain grade will probably cause your pulse rate to go up a bit, assuming you actually make the 8% ascent on the other side. :wink:

I think you would be far better off to find a “normal” late model van or small SUV and spend time enjoying the trip, scenery, and comradery rather than wondering why the speedometer needle doesn’t move very much, fighting to keep your heart out of your throat, and things of that nature.

Most of my adventure stories involve motorcycles and while mildly humorous now, at the time they were not.

Being behind the wheel of a loaded Bus and descending an 8% mountain grade will probably cause your pulse rate to go up a bit, assuming you actually make the 8% ascent on the other side. :wink:

Nepalese: Ah, we have mountains in Nepal too! Are yours on the other side of those hills over there?

American: Uh, sir, those “hills” are the Rockies!

Nepalese: Oh. Well, they’re nice too.

People have been crossing the Rockies in VW buses since the Memory of Man runneth not to the contrary.

I think the advice, both pro and con has been good here, especially about being able to get a better vehicle for the same or less money.

You’re looking for one of the old original air-cooled VW Vans???

And I assume you’re on a limited budget…FORGET wasting your money…you don’t have enough to keep it running long enough for such a trip.

impala61,we on the Forum have identified you as a person seriously lacking in automotive knowledge, I am going to have to go with VDC here. I think we are trying to reverse a trend of the forum becoming impersonal and confrontational. Speaking for my self I have no trouble working you in, but the forum never has ben about constant fighting amoung members. Sure members get in spats but I really don’t think people go out looking for trouble.Lets try and work you in (and help you find your place) but we,and I really think I speak for most,don’t want to have bickering each and every day, if is at all avoidable.

I have stated openly that I have almost no knowledge of modern cars, and I ask a fair amount of questions. Perhaps I was wrong to characterize the post below as “snooty.”

"No, I haven’t seen the cars in Nepal, impala.
Please regale us with a dissertation on that topic–even though it does not relate to driving an aged VW van across the US.

Also, please be sure to include technical details on those vehicles commonly found in Nepal, as I know that technical automotive knowledge is one of your areas of expertise!"

Turns out I have been to Nepal, and I have had the opportunity to observe the cars there.

“we on the Forum” oooh, swirlied by the cool kids. Wherever am I going to sit at lunch?

You are so young and dumb, but thats what makes youth fun. Go for it!

Here in rural Mexico, people keep old vehicles running. A cousin takes his 1976 Chevrolet pickup to a shop an hour away, they can put in new turn signal parts; new tail light lens, clutch plates, you name it. Because they have a lot, they keep getting parts, and the mechanics well know how to fix them and inexpensively. I suspect it may be the same in Nepal.

However, in the US, I would not expect to be able to find parts for an old bus at every Autozone. Nor mechanics who know how to fix them. That makes a world of difference. That is as big a reason not to bother with an old VW bus as the danger, and cost of getting one in good shape.

A ten year old Dodge Caravan will have parts available and people who can work on them. Ditto for the models mentioned above.

The trip should be about the trip, not about making junk run around the country, which is what will happen if you get a VW bus.

If you are determined, though, it is imperative you obtain a copy of an old book, from the era of the bus, called the Transporter, I think.

It is HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE, by John Muir. It not only tells how to troubleshoot and fix failures, but what parts and tools to take with you. Hit Amazon used books, or e-bay to try to find one. They should be out there. Not that many people are still trying to drive those things but they took so many repairs, I think they sold a lot of those books.

Oh, yeah, it also tells how to buy one. Rust is a big issue on them.

From what I have read of Muir’s books I don’t think he has demonstrated the ability to accuratly convey the techniques required to work on the latter model buses.It seems he likes the 60’s type stuff (and stuff from the 60’s) much more.

Oldschool is correct, based on my recollections of Muir’s book, How To Keep Your VW Alive.
While that book was an incredible resource for me when I owned my '71 Karmann Ghia, it would not be helpful with VWs made after…probably…the early '70s.

Incidentally, Mr. Muir has been dead for a few decades, so I don’t think that we can anticipate any new books from him!

The only thing worth a hoot in those books was a good chart on front beam spacer setup (if you ever setup a VW link pin beam you know what I mean). The rest is Haynes material.

EDIT: I really wish we did not lose our OP after so short of a time talking about their trip,this needs to be worked on.

My mother owned one when it was just a few years old and it handled like crap back then. It’s fine for day trips to the beach. But I would never consider driving cross country in one unless it would be in the less-mountainous south, along I-40.

I predict you’ll spend more on repairs, towtrucks and all the extra expenses you’re likely to encounter while the van spends a few days on the lift - hotels and food - than you’ll spend on, say a used Honda Element or perhaps a newer Wesphalia. (A friend of mine calls them West-failures, but she’s tainted.) And there I go again, pushing the Element. But it’s a great little car. The bass player in our band owns one. I can’t say I’d ever get one, but I do recognize its many merits. It’s big enough to sleep in, small enough to handle decently. It seems to me the perfect road trip car.

I’d like to expand on two of your points:

The complexity of the repair is in direct inverse proportion to the availabilty and proximity of a qualified technician and/or part. The wiper blades will wear out in downtown Denver, Colorado. The upper strut mount will break in the middle of the Trans Taiga Highway.

The good old days weren’t didn’t seem so good when we were living them.

Cheers!