OK to remove thermostat?

My mechanic wants to remove thermostat from my car, 2004 model Rav4, should I allow him?

Only if he replaces it with a new one. If there are cooling problems they need to be addressed. The thermostat plays a critical role in engine performance.

9 Likes

What he said (above).

Don’t pull the thermostat without replacing it.

I would agree 100% with the comments above, but I’ll add that you need a new mechanic, right away.

4 Likes

Why does your mechanic want to remove it? Just curious…

Removing the thermostat would result in the engine overheating due to coolant continually cycling through the open bypass circuit. I also suggest you find another mechanic.

Actually I had removed my thermostat before then My radiator keeps cracking when ever I go on long journeys.
However now am understanding that it’s not safe.

Before my posting from last December I checked and found that your engine has a by-pass thermostat which means it has 2 functions. Like all previous thermostats the Rav4’s opens and closes to control coolant passing through the radiator but it also has a tail piece on the plunger which opens and closes a by-pass in the block which keeps coolant circulating in the block whenever the passage to the radiator is closed. When a by-pass thermostat is removed the coolant will mostly circulate inside the block without passing through the radiator under most driving conditions. If your engine is not overheating without a proper thermostat you’re lucky so far. Repeatedly blowing the radiator would indicate that the head gasket is likely blown. Operating an engine without a thermostat was common but costly before 1980 but very costly and to be avoided for many reasons on computer controlled models that are on the roads today.

1 Like