Oily question

The Studebaker Lark that my Dad purchased new in 1963 had a decal on the oil cap and also had the statement in the manual to add a can of STP at each oil change. The manual also specified non-detergent oil. At that time, Studebaker-Packard owned STP. My dad never did put STP in the crankcase of the Studebaker and it ran just fine.

Oh I agree I was just wondering from those here if there was another product on the market that might not be as bad for the engine (especially in the north) that I could say…

Hey dad, look this new stuff is out and is better" and thus allow him to keep putting stuff in but it not be as harmful.

Don’t worry, he’s not harming the engine with STP (to any significant degree). If he was STP would be sued left and right. Harmless in this case.

Agreed. My Dad used STP in all his cars and never had an oil related issue. He kept them well over 100k miles. Let your Dad use his STP and don’t worry about it. It is not the consistency of molasses after it mixes with the oil.

If he was STP would be sued left and right

It always surprises me when people say things like that as a basis for trusting (or at least assuming no harm from) a product. Lets say STP did hasten the demise of a '95 Neon (or any other car for that matter). Or lets say some major brand multipurpose transmission fluid (just to pick another thing I’ve seen this logic used on) hastened the demise of a transmission. How, exactly, would one be able to specify and prove that the product was the problem? Who, exactly would spend the time or have the saavy to sort it out? Just because a company is not sued or is still in business doesn’t tell me that its product is harmless.

I’m not taking a specific shot at texases there - just bringing it up as a general point. I never buy that logic since it assumes a much higher degree of actual cause/effect knowledge than will exist in almost all cases.

A friend of mine had an old Chevy van. 350 V8…He lived in Tucson. He poured in a can of STP (Scientifically Treated Petroleum) at every oil change since the van was new. Last I heard, it was approaching 400,000 miles and the heads and timing cover had never been off…

The STP certainly hadn’t hurt anything. This product still sells well even though they haven’t advertised it for many years…

There’s no need for this product. You can just use a heavier oil if that’s what you want to do. 20w-50 is probably thinner than a 5w-30 with a bottle of STP put in it.

The 2.0 Neon engine has rollerized cam followers. No need for any high additive levels in its NA form. They do tend to consume a bit of oil, but I’ve found that a little tweaking of the PCV system usually reduces this a good bit. They kinda make it easy for oil to naturally migrate to the intake (if you look at where the PCV valve is). It needs a deceleration chamber (of sorts) that can drain back to the valve cover when you shut the engine off. Catch cans work, but require maintenance. The idea is to make them maintenance free.

http://a.imageshack.us/img46/8701/concept2.jpg

The Neon with the 2.0 SOHC with auto is a little screamer and a delightful compact car to drive. My son has me fostering his 96 beater Neon (battle damaged, but ultra clean interior) and I love to drive it.

We are talking about an almost 15 year old car here–a senior citizen in car years. If it is doing o.k.with its STP, leave it alone. I’m a senior citizen and I keep perking along taking my Geritol. I’m afraid I might throw a heart valve if I don’t take it. Pleae leave me and the Dodge Neon to our medicines.

No offense taken. I’m just saying that I have no reason to think STP is dangerous in this situation. Folks complain (not offer proof, of course) about lots of stuff, I’d think we’d have seen those kinds of complaints here. STP has been sold for what, 50 years, and lots of cars have passed by lots ofo mechanics, some of which who post here.

Whoa, wait a minute now. You posted that you are now getting water in the oil? Now for the ‘rest of the story!’

So this post really has nothing to do with the honey oil treatment.

Neons are famous for blown headgaskets at 100,000 miles. Don’t blame the old man for that.The honey oil additive is probably the only thing that has saved your bearings, if this is the case

Maybe you can sell him on using synthetic oil. That way he will actually be putting something useful in the crankcase, and maybe you can convince him that with synthetic, all the ‘extra additives’ are already in there.

How about Marvel Mystery Oil?

Water in the oil is unrelated to the Neon. This is indy’s Taurus, different car, different issue.