Oil

Why is it better to use Synthetic oil, rather than conventional oil.

If I change, what modifications should I need to implement?

Thank you

It has never been demonstrated that synthetic oil is any “better” than mineral oil…It’s a higher profit product so therefore it gets more and more shelf-space and hype in magazines. Typically, the ENGINE is one of the longer lasting parts of a car no matter WHAT type of oil you use…Just use what the owners manual says to use…Very few cars go to the shredder because of engine failure…Worry about something else…

In most situations, it really doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. Synthetic oil withstands very high temperatures better (perhaps 260-270+ fahrenheit in the sump), but you wouldn’t likely reach such temps unless you are running the engine VERY hard for extended time periods. Synthetic is also available in 0W-30, which will flow at extremely low temps. Again, not a big deal if your area never gets too cold (I’m talkin’ 20 or 30 below 0 here). No modifications are required, just drain the old stuff out and pour the new synthetic in, but if your engine is prone to oil leaks, synthetic oil may exacerbate the problem.

Caddyman posted the above comment while I was writing. I’m more or less with him on this one. I tend to run cars into the ground on conventional oil, and the rest of the car falls apart before the engine does. Also, check the manual to see if the manufacturer requires synthetic or not.

Read your owner’s manual. If it says that synthetic is “required”, then use it. If not, there exists no evidence that I’ve ever seen that it will benefit your engine over regular oil.

If you do use it, there are no modifications you need make. As a matter of fact you can mix it with regular oil, switch back and forth, or combine the two in any proportions you’d like, all without risk.

Your Honda Del Sol is getting up there in age, I’d keep doing what you’ve been doing, no need to change at this late date.

Is it not a fact that synthetics (function?) better in cold climates. (cold starts)

Do Read Your Owner’s Manual Recommendations. Two Of My Cars Require Changing To A Different Grade Conventional For The Extreme Cold Where I live If Synthetic Oil Is Not Used.

Conventional oil is old-fashioned oil that doesn’t always work as well in newer, modern vehicles. It is slowly losing ground to the more modern synthetic oil.

The convenience and qualities of synthetic oil make it the only choice for me.

CSA

oops. engaged mouth b4 reading

My experience with synthetics is…if your burning or leaking any oil and you change to synthetic the burning and leaking will be more so…

Synthetic maintains its viscosity a little better and is less prone to burning off and leaving sludge behind. It also flows much better in very cold temps, which is nice if you’re experiencing the weather we’re getting where I live. It can also give you a little better economy due to the reduction in friction, and you can often go a little longer between oil changes. (though I wouldn’t if you’re under warranty)

If you have a turbocharged engine or live in a very cold climate, I’d definitely suggest using it. Some manufacturers will not honor a warranty on a turbocharged engine if synthetic is not used.

You don’t need to make any modifications to use it. Just make sure you use the recommended grade for your car.

That said, while I’m a fan of synthetic, the average driver will not usually subject their car to conditions where the benefits of synthetic will be significant during the time they own their cars. Conventional oils have come a long way in the last couple of decades and some are very nearly as good as much higher priced synthetics.