Oil wont come out of plug but filter

They are not insulting you . They are trying to keep you from causing damage to your engine . Do you not have a relative or friend who might look at what is going on here.
And stop the oil flushes every time you change oil .

3 Likes

You stick a screwdriver in the drain hole of a oil pan that is full of oil and it comes out clean and dry ?

Yes and I know it has oil as it drips oil once opened for a little

I donā€™t know how your oil pan could be empty before draining it.
This is what the oil pan looks like in case you are in the wrong area;

2013 Nissan Altima oil pan

Going back to my ā€œso much sludge itā€™s blocking the holeā€.

It itā€™s bad enough itā€™s going to be like Jello and not stick to the screwdriver.

I think itā€™s time to drop the oil pan.

6 Likes

Possible I guess the first time I did a change was after I bought the car and I dont know how long it went without one

If you bought this 7 year old car without having access to its maintenance records, it is entirely possible that the previous owner(s) never changed the oil, or they did it so infrequently that the engine is choked with sludge.

What is this oil flush bottle you speak of and where exactly is it to be ā€œin thereā€? I think this is where a friend or BIL should drive on over and confirm everything. Then I suspect it may be time to tow it to a garage foe a diagnosis. If the oil did not come out the last two times then how did you put new oil in, and where did it go? Is it possible this engine is in such bad sludged up shape that it is either burning all the oil out or being stuck up in the lifters and not draining out?

I am in agreement with and share the frustration of the other folks on here who are trying to help you with this either very strange issue or this incorrectly described situation. I am not sure which at this moment.

To explain everyones frustration let me just pass along some infoā€¦ The dipstick in most any vehicle quite literally ends up very close to the drain plug of the oil pan. So if the Engine Oil Dipstick says you have a full oilpanā€¦ it is hard for it to lie to you (Possible Yes, but if never messed with not likely).

SOā€¦

IF you are indeed pulling the Oil pan drain plug of the engine and nothing comes out there are only a few scenarios that can explain thisā€¦and they are:

The engine oil is literally stuck up inside the cylinder head and unable to drain down into the pan.

There is no engine oil at all and the Dipstick Lied to you

** OR the drain plug you pulled is actually the transmissions drain plugā€¦ Doh! **

What MAY HAVE occurred can go something like this:
You have pulled the trans drain plug and are confusing it with the engine oil drain plug and after the initial 2-3 qts of trans fluid have come outā€¦there will be no more fluid forthcoming.
Until you start the engine (which you should have never EVER done, because, at that moment, you believed that you have just finished draining the engineā€™s oil) ā€¦however if for some insane reason you did start the engine again (AND you were monitoring the transmission drain pan and plug You would indeed get some more fluid out of it when it was running.

I truly hope you are paying close attention to what you are doingā€¦ because I can tell you with absolute certainty that people do indeed confuse the trans drain plug with the engine oil drain plug. All sorts of terrible things occur from thisā€¦even if, from afar and as a mechanic, it is rather hilarious.

Please check yourself on this possible scenario

3 Likes

Never in all the engines that I have disassembled have I ever seen this. Name one engine that you have personally seen this in.

2 Likes

There is a transmission fluid overflow plug in the bottom of the transmission case (not the transmission pan). When the fluid is at the proper level and this plug is removed the fluid will drip or a slow dribble, this sounds like what the OP is looking at. The amount of fluid lost will not affect the operation of the transmission unless the transmission was hot at the time.

@keith Iā€™d have to think about that and admittedly I may have just fibbed that detail a bit in order to let the OP understand that if the stick reads a normal levelā€¦ his drain plug should be well submergedā€¦ Heā€™d have never known the truth about the true termination point of the end of the stickā€¦but for whatever reason you felt the need to spill beans on the topicā€¦ LOL. I was merely trying to infer upon the non mechanic OP that if the dipstick was wet the drain plug would surely be equally wet and or submerged.

I do appreciate the fact checking tho, dont get me wrongā€¦somebody should try to keep me in line around here as clearly I am getting out of hand

P.Sā€¦ Oooh Oooh Subaru 2.2L Flat 4 dipstick is very close to the drain plugā€¦if I recall correctlyā€¦ tiny little oil pan alsoā€¦ I can think of a few moreā€¦butā€¦my point wasā€¦ ah nevermind

1 Like

I would suggest @Cody_Schroeder to take a picture of the plug he is removing and to post here.
I strongly suspect it is NOT the oil drain plug.

4 Likes

remember that post a few weeks back . . . the one where op removed the engine oil pan, and it looked like brown jello in there :smiley:

3 Likes

Heh heh. Like I said boys will be boys and the nose gets bloodied once in a while. Iā€™m pretty careful to use the proper to and there too.

What I donā€™t understand though is if them figured the oil was drained and then dumped in four quarts, without it being drained, seems to me it would be overflowing by now after two oil changes. I suspect though, as usual, there are some details missing.

Thereā€™s something missing all right but I cant say what it is. Flow of logic would be another thing that I can mention that would be in the missing category as well.

There is an over abundance of strangeness in this scenario and I second the vote for pictures. I meant to list that in my response prior. A picture and a few words describing which bolts are actually in play here would go a long way to solving the problem methinks.

This a very perplexing puzzle indeed.

Typically I have found that most problems are only as perplexing as the persons interpretation of what is actually going on and how they explain it.

Iā€™ve become a master at walking people through trying to explain an automotive problem to meā€¦I guide them through the facts and only the facts trimming away the superstitions, misconceptions, half truths and any other Voodoo they believe in to get to the bottom of the actual problem at hand. It helps get to the bottom of things, believe me.

1 Like

No idea unless some details are missing. Even if the oil pan was sludged all to hxxx something should come out on a screwdriver blade inserted into the oil drain hole.

Thereā€™s a very simple explanation for this. If itā€™s pumping it through the oil filter flange then itā€™s sucking it out of the pan, so.,

1 Like

I second that. What is an ā€œoil flush bottleā€?