Oil treatment

has anyone tried lucas oil heavy-duty oil stabilizer.

You would be better off spending your money on a good quality motor oil. Oil and gas additives are usually not worth it.

All you need to know about oil is here:

I have seen it used in many applications and in my opinion it is mostly a snake oil. If an engine is severely worn and oil pressure is dropping to critically low levels products such as Lucas might add some useful miles but otherwise it has little use.

One winter several imported cars showed up that would start but immediately die in the morning. The oil in the cars was so thick due to Lucas, STP, Casite, etc., that the lifters would pump up and fail to allow the valves to fully close. A Ford Ranger was towed in with the engine trashed due to Lucas additive and 20W50 oil. When the temperature dropped below 10* the oil was so thick that the oil pump drive wound up like a cork screw and dropped into the pan. The oil was as thick as molasses… It’s hard to improve on quality oil of the correct weight and rating when changed regularly.

What do you hope to accomplish with the additive?

In general, additives are not only not necessary for a proper operating engine, but can even cause problems. But, it would be nice for us to know what we’re dealling with here.

What do you hope to accomplish with the additive?

I wonder if dipper has asked himself that question.  If we knew the answer to that question, we might be able to provide some good ideas. 

Unless there is a problem, it is generally better to stick with the OEM recommendations.

I agree.

Often people hear or read a product advertisement promoting something as the greatest thing since sliced bread and they become interested. I commend those that ask further before buying these things. There are those, however, who’re trying to get squeeze a little extra life out of an old beater, and for those cases additives can help. Or at least be worth trying.

It’ll be nice if we hear back from the OP. Uncommon, but nice.

People are buying these products because the companies are TELLING them that their vehicle isn’t running right (even though it is) and that only THEIR product is capable of fixing it for them. I can’t count the number of products on the market that fix a non-existent problem.

These companies also get some heavy hitters to shill for them. Mario Andretti used to do commercials for STP and Carroll Shelby did commercials for Z-Max. I know that I found it difficult to resist Shelby’s testimonials for Z-Max. Hey, it was Carroll Shelby on the screen!

I used in the past on a Taurus that has 281,000 miles on it. Did not use, blow, drip, snort, shoot up and oil at all, it was great, but…

I’m not saying its because of the Lucas. The Taurus had a 3.0 engine, which has been good for Ford.

It could have been nothing but a placebo.

Another illustration of the oil change/maintenance fetish we have with our cars. If the oil is API certified, there is little you can do that hasn’t been done already. In my very humble opinion, adding additives that aren’t called for could run the risk of compromising one already in the oil that IS doing it’s job.

Why?,stopped using things of that nature years ago and never looked back-save your money.Kevin

But imagine how empty Autozone/Pepboys would be if they only sold stuff we actually need!

STP is basically the same product and it’s a lot cheaper…

My Dad bought a new Studebaker Lark V-8 back in 1963. On the oil cap was a lablel applied at the factory that said to add one can of STP at every oil change. The owner’s manual also called for non-detergent oil. My dad used detergent oil and never used STP and I’m certain that the car went well over 100,000 miles before he sold it. My guess is that Studebaker had purchased the STP company from Andy Granatelli and wanted to sell the product.

Studebaker bought STP in '61, so I bet STP stickers were pretty common on Studes from that point on…

@texases–I’m glad that Studebaker put the STP sticker on the oil cap–under the hood and out of sight rather than on the back bumper. I remember in this time period seeing cars with an STP sticker on the back bumper. This was great publicity for STP but probably not so great for the engine.

+1 on just buying good oil.
Check it, keep it topped off and change it at the recommended intervals. That’s the only treatment oil needs.

What is really needed is an oil treatment or additive that will turn the oil in the engine into “self checking motor oil”. We have a lot of posts from folks who don’t seem to be able to check their oil.

Good oils have all the additives necessary, and do not need any “stabilizers”.

The shop where I learned to rebuild engines used an STP and oil mixture as assembly lube and for years I continued doing so. The mixture was great for priming oil pumps.

When engines and transmissions seemed to be on their last legs adding “stabilizer” often made them quieter and gave the impression they would hold together longer. I once drove a worn out old Ford van 60 miles with a rod knocking and the oil pressure gauge barely moving after adding 3 cans of “Racer’s Edge.” The crankshaft was not damaged beyond turning.