Oil Retention in modern engines

Going to mn soon if they let me in what is the address? :):slight_smile: PS we have a painting that was supposedly hung in one, the mirror we got is gone now. I suppose they might offer a drive through service?

An interesting study. Is there a chance that the wear rate is non-linear, with wear accelerating near the end of the recommended interval (as opposed to increasing linearly)? A series of analyses at regular intervals would give this. If so, one might be able to reduce overall wear for the same overall oil investment as double draining by performing single drains at shorter intervals.

Class was in South Dakota so couldnā€™t tell about Minnesota. They tell me in Fargo though that they are green lights not red but I have no idea.

Interesting though for 500 oil analysis I figure thatā€™s about $15,000 worth. Got to be a little compulsive to spend that much when we know the answer anyway-anecdotally.

Arguments sometimes flush out weak points. In my opinion, the answer was already flushed out at the beginning of responses. If the OP wonā€™t accept the answer is non consequential and prefers his double oil change, why wonā€™t he call it a day and apply his solution? There is no more that can come from this discussion. It has run its course.

4 Likes

Well stated, but Iā€™m sure it draw more responses. Iā€™m responding.

Correct.

I agree.

Thatā€™s what I was wondering. It seems thereā€™s more to the story than what has been revealed in the query.

Oh, I donā€™t know about that. This discussion has offered up some musing and entertainment.

Iā€™ve used Blackstone Labs for oil analysis and have confirmed my own analysis of my whole oil change regimen (see posts above if interested) by letting experience and results using my method (over literally decades and hundreds of thousands of miles), be my guide.

Blackstone says that I donā€™t have to change my oil so frequently, nowhere close, but I do it anyhow. Iā€™m like that. Itā€™s cheap and gives me peace of mind.

From where I sit, although I didnā€™t have the precise information being sought (in fact, I donā€™t think that ever surfaced in the entire discussion), I offered anecdotal evidence and information and some great advice, and I ascertained that the debate was moot
to me from the very beginning, but fun.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Not from the OP at least. Heā€™s been suspended.

His suspension ended 4 days ago, so he can return if he chooses to do so.

Actually Brians suspension is until APR 2 , 3020 7:00 AM

I have my reminder set to see what he has to say then. :grinning:

3 Likes

Please send me a reminder email when that time is approaching. I plan to still be frequenting this site and giving my invaluable opinions on darn near anything.

Iā€™m with you on this one to see how his engine oil pooling theories have played out in real time and see if heā€™s still driving that little GM beauty with that little 4-banger in it.
CSA

Whoops!
When I first looked at his suspension info, I failed to note that he has another 1,000 years to go before he can do any posting. :dizzy_face:

Carolyn wields a mighty sword!
:+1:

2 Likes

Quite alright, Mr. Driver!
We allow for little oversights here. :face_with_monocle:
Now, whereā€™d I leave my freakā€™n coffee cup :coffee:?
CSA