Oil Retention in modern engines

Why do you ask a question which you already know the answer. No one has that information, not the owner, nor GM in all their data acquisition methods. That was lame attempt at a gotcha question. I don’t need to know the full history. Does your doctor have your full medical record, every test, sample, lab result, procedure and has he monitored your health for your entire life in order to make a diagnosis and possible life saving recommendation.

Scientist interpret data and draw conclusions on much less. The sample size is more than large enough, it covers 10 years of the same engine, and the only difference is the fuel delivery method. Non-GDI has less than 1% fuel dilution and 2.5ppm/1k wear rate. The same engine with GDI had greater than 3% fuel dilution and had 5ppm/1k mile wear rate for both iron and aluminum. I was even able to determine dilution rate where the wear rate begin to deviate. I have confirmed this data with Blackstone Labs and Polaris Labs, and it is well known even by GM that GDI engines produce significantly more fuel dilution and it has negative affect on oil life and the engine

Anymore nonesense gotcha questions?

And you know this HOW?

That is NOT the definition of Sample Size. As a software engineer who’s written and designed statistical sampling software - that sampling size is way too small to make any conclusions. I applaud the work, but one engine is not a valid size. As @Mustangman suggested…500 is a good start.

2 Likes

“And you know this HOW?” Show me any individual or organization that has tracked, tested and monitored every aspect of engine performance of any vehicle for it’s entire life in real world conditions. So enlighten all of us with your knowledge.

No it was not one engine. It was 500 separate engines of the same design and manufacturer, samples ranging from 1k miles to 150k miles, and varying oil change intervals. Only a small percentage of owners test their oil and the vast majority of those are likely meticulous about maintenace and following manufacturer recommendations. My conclusions only validations what is well known about GDI engines, fuel dilution, viscosity loss and resulting accelerated wear. The early adopters of GDI have known about this problem, abrasive soot and intake valve carbon problems for the past 25 years.

I’m not the one making the claim…you are. I don’t know if there’s a group tracking it or not…and obviously neither do you…but you made the claim are not without any proof.

4 Likes

Brian-this is how general interest public forums work: you post information and a question, and you wait for responses. You learn from those you think have value, you ignore the rest.

Somehow you think we have research at our finger tips, and that anything but a detailed, verified, documented answer to your question is unacceptable. Sorry, that’s just not how this works.

3 Likes

This engine is rebuilt, and has only 15k miles, there is no clogging of oil drain ports. Diesel engines are known to retain 15% of the oil according to industry experts, that is why they turn black so quickly, even with soot filters. The oil in the main oil galleries do not drain either on the other side of the pump. I have seen videos of the front timing cover being removed and at least at least a half quart drain out, I have pictures of these galleries in this engine and they are huge, as they have to provide oil to the crank, two balance shafts as well as the head.

So you think that removing the filter and letting it drain overnight will get all the old oil out of the engine. I really doubt you have rebuilt any modern engines.

Dissolved metal in oil that increases lubricity. Huh Sorry not buying that. Even the additives are not dissolved and will fall out of suspension. Do you have link to that Blackstone article.

“The little bit of retained oil with dissolved metals will kickstart the increase in the lubricity of the fresh oil.” Do you really believe that. Oil manufacturers have well known cleanliness standards, and PQIA has pulled oil off the market because it contained used oil and wear metals.

I have had vehicles that last 2-300k as well, but owners of these first generation GDI engines are seeing massive failures due to cylinder wear and chains. These older engines did not retain 10-20% of the used contaminated oil either. Would buy new oil with contained 10-20% used oil of unknown quality even if it was discounted. Not one person I have found said they would.

I’m an old guy (only chronologically speaking!) and I’ve been changing oil for many decades before OLMs came along. Since my first vehicle with an OLM, to this day, I don’t ever use it. I don’t need it.

I keep a paper log book in each of my six cars’ glove compartment to record oil changes. I’m a “one man act” DIY oil changer. I stock plenty of
filters and oil, OEM filters and Mobil-1 EP oil.

How do I keep track of changes with 6 cars in two different states? Whenever any of our vehicles has an odometer reading ending in a multiple of 5,000, I change the oil. So, 15,000, 115,000, 130,000, 195,000 readings all trigger an oil change. I confirmed with Blackstone that my changes are overkill. It seems to work as I’ve never had a major engine repair or an oil consumer. Case closed.

And another thing! You know why I hate OLMs? Because the daxx things turn on a warning at annoyingly random times and I have to get out the Owner Manual (remember? I’m old, strictly by chronology, mind you.) in whatever vehicle to find out how to shut it off! Useless stuff I didn’t order.

Am I leaving puddles of used oil somewhere up in the engines?“Did he fire five shots or six shots?” “Feeling lucky punk?” “Well do ya punk?”

I guess, I just like living on the edge! :grimacing: I’m like that. Oh, the humanity! :boom::flying_saucer: :boom:
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

If you are going to quote me, at least do it correctly.

Speaking of “gotcha” questions…

For their internal and external test fleets, they do have mileage, usage and oil sample data. Once into a customer’s hands, they have more data about the vehicle over OnStar than you do with your collection methods. I’d bet they can even tell when the car has had an oil change at Jiffy Lube based on the delay in oil pressure rise at re-start.

And why ask that question? I refuted your claim of a $1500 “sealed” trans fluid and filter change and your knowledge of what “sealed” meant.

Well, the Asin automatic in my Saab (GM car) had an internal filter that required the case to be cracked to reach it. It had a nice drain plug to make fluid changes cheap and easy. In contrast, every GM Hydramatic designed transmission has had a pan and filter that could be dropped and swapped. Changes cost about $150

Whatever point your are trying to make here was lost.

You can doubt my background if it makes you feel good.

I am even MORE convinced of my earlier post…

5 Likes

Angry about something, that’s for certain! :scream_cat:
CSA

4 Likes

That is a false claim. I don’t have the dry fill information for your Equinox but I can give some Toyota examples.

2015 Camry 2AR-FE 4 cylinder engine; oil change capacity; 4.7 quarts, dry fill 5.6 quarts.

2018 Camry A25A-FSK 4 cylinder engine oil change capacity; 4.8 quarts, dry fill 5.7 quarts.

1 Like

You misread my post. I did not say that.

I used to manufacture cylinder heads for all American manufacturers, Quad 4, Chrysler 3.3 and 3.5, Ford 4.6 modular V8 both 16 valve and 32 valve.

You clearly have your opinions. Since you are not interested in anyone else’s opinions, don’t ask for them.

5 Likes

Wow, Brian. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Many of us have known each other online for quite some time and trust and value each others opinions, even if they are not the exact ones we want to validate or enhance our original query. There are some very bright people here, some with lots of automobile knowledge and experience, many at a professional level. They’re not likely to lie and they’re looking to argue.

I’ll betcha that folks will still offer you help if you are a tiny bit more appreciative of others’ input, because they love talking cars and car related subjects.

Also, if you’ve got it in you, an apology to the forum members, and contributors who were dismissed either as liars or not having a worthy opinion, would give us a fresh start.
Thank you in advance.
CSA

1 Like

Like that is going to happen. No apologies necessary, it is a frikkin forum not a confessional booth

1 Like

And I value your opinion, too, Barky, but Keith was belittled for trying to help. I didn’t like seeing that. I highly value his opinions and integrity, and his service. Thank you Keith.
CSA

2 Likes

The OP reminds me or the political landscape today, two sides, bitterly opposed . No one looking for truth, everyone looking for “facts” that support what they already believe. I find plenty to dislike on both sides and believe that they both act in the best interest of whoever gives them the most campaign money.

Has anyone else Googled “Brian Sydnes”? Of Iowa?

1 Like

I just did… interesting! Quite the digital footprint.

That’s called the Fairfax Law. Only those facts that support my side of the argument are fair facts.

1 Like

Thank you.

I’ve been avoiding this whole discussion because I am not an engineer. But as the responses have grown, I just had to peek. Kinda a non-issue I think, as just a non-engineer. It kinda reminded me of Sociology class where we used to talk about the definition of a sociologist was a person that spent a million dollar grant to find the local house of ill repute that everyone knew where it was anyway. So maybe it is of intense interest to some engineers how much oil stays in the engine when you pull the oil plug, but I gotta think to 99.9% of the general public it is a silly thing to worry about. Maybe it’s time to write a book about it and test the public interest.