Oil pump/ power loss

Could the loss of power in my 95 Ford Taurus after running a few blocks be due to a bad oil pump (the mechanic said yes , maybe 75%). Before I authorize the $250 to replace, I’d like to know my odds that it would restore power (I realize it may just be old engine ready to be replaced…it has 145K

By loss of power do you mean a reduction in power or the engine stops? Loss of power is not typically associated with an oil pump. 145k miles is not a lot of miles really. I suggest a second opinion.

Thanks for your comments. I mean a reduction in power. The car runs fine at first, then loses power. Is such reduction of power ever associated with oil pressure reduction from a bad oil pump?

Clarification: the car loses power down to 10 MPH, then may stop.

Is your mechanic maybe thinking of changing the transmission oil pump?

It would help to describe in better detail, from start to finish, exactly what happens. Runs fine is only the first step. How long? At what speed does it lose power? How long does it take to repeat the problem. Does the power come back? Stuff like that and even I might come up with something.

If you’re losing power due to a failing oil pump then the engine is trashed.

The diagnosis is very suspect to me. Any perceived oil pump problem could be easily verified with an oil pressure test. It does not require guesswork; and oil pump failure is near non-existent anyway.

If the oil light turns off quickly when you start the engine then the pump is not likely the fault.

Odds are your problem is going to be a failing fuel pump or a failing ignition module. The TFI ignition modules were being phased out by 95 but if your car has a distributor then the module could be the problem. It’s a very common fault.

My opinion is that an oil pump diagnosis is very far-fetched to put it politely.

And I should have added that the Taurus engines, especially the 3.0, are near bullet-proof and will run forever if not abused.

It seems more likely you have a different problem, like a partially clogged fuel filter, catalytic converter, or an engine sensor that’s a little out of range. Before you have the oil pump replaced, have the mechanic attach a mechanical oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure when the engine is warm, especially when you have the power loss. Incidentally, if you DO have low oil pressure when the engine is warm on an engine with this many miles, it’s not likely to be the oil pump that’s the problem–you probably have worn engine bearings. If this is the case, the engine is basically worn out. Don’t even try to guess until the oil pressure is checked though. If your mechanic is diagnosing a bad oil pump without checking the oil pressure, or refuses to do so, it sounds like it may be time to find a more competent mechanic.

No, he’s definitely referring to the engine oil pump.

Yes, it is a 3.0 engine. I’ll get a second opinion.

Thank you for all your valuable suggestions. I’ll take it in for a another diagnosis.

Thanks for commenting. I’ll take it in for a second opinion. It runs O.K. for maybe 5-10 minutes going at 35-40 mph, then loses power and stays at low power or stops. After I park it overnight the cycle repeats.

I have to agree that the oil pump is highly unlikely to be the cause of power loss as you describe it.

If the pump wears to the point that it can no longer maintain sufficient pressure, the pressurized fluid barrier between the bearings and their respective wear surfaces becomes insufficient and the bearings and their corresponding start to knock and then seize. And since oil pumps are simple devices constantly well lubricated they’re rarely the cause of pressure loss.

I’d go elsewhere for a second opinion. Loss of fuel pressure would be more likely. Are you sure he didn’t say your fuel pump?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply with good guidance. I’ll take it in for a second evaluation.