Oil Pan Gasket 1998 civic 1.6L non vtec

First of all, I don’t know if that’s your oil pan . . . I just used it as an example

I hope you’re using either a 1/4" drive or 3/8" drive ratchet . . . if you’re using a 1/2" drive ratchet, the chance of splitting a gasket is much higher

If you torque the bolts properly, the gasket might stick out a little bit

But if you really overdo it, a gasket sticking out could also mean you split it

I have no idea what brand gasket you’re using . . . felpro, perhaps?

It might be the leak is mainly from the crankshaft seal behind the harmonic balancer. I replaced that when I did the timing belt on my 1999 Civic recently. I do have minor leaks here and there from the oil pan and have checked the torque of the bolts. Without a torque wrench it’s very likely you’ve overtightened them and have distorted the mating surface of the pan, as tester surmised above.

A quick search on Google shows that this engine uses a one-piece rubber gasket for the oil pan. These type of gaskets are usually very forgiving, and generally do not require the use of additional sealant.

I have replaced many of these type of gaskets–transmission pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and never used a torque wrench either. Since the torque value is measured in inch-pounds, I know that it’s necessary to limit the amount of torque applied. So I use the little 4" long 1/4" drive ratchet and tighten the bolts in sequence applying as much force as I can with only one finger, then repeat the tightening sequence using two fingers. I have never had any leaks or damaged gaskets.

If this oil pan gasket keeps leaking, there can only be two explanations: improper installation or something wrong with the engine. Improper installation could be overtorquing or failure to tighten the bolts in proper sequence. Something wrong with the engine could be badly scratched/warped/corroded mating surfaces or excessive crankcase pressure due to too much blow-by or failed PCV system.

Yes, brand is fel-pro and it’s only stickes out a bit from the side where the crankshaft pulley is at. From the sides and all not really you can see the gasket but not sticking out

Why were the pan and gasket originally replaced ?

Are you sure that’s what’s leaking ?

1 Like