Oil loss

THURS: 18 MARCH 2010

SIR,

I CHECKED THE OIL IN MY SON’S 1998 RANGER 4X4 & IT WAS BELOW THE ADD MARK. THE TAILPIPE IS AS CLEAN AS THE DAY IT CAME OFF THE SHOWROOM.

HE SAYS NO OIL SPOT ON DRIVEWAY. DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE THE PCV VALVE PLUGGED / STUCK?

P.S. I HAVE TO USE ACE BANDAGES AFTER EVERY ONE OF YOUR SHOWS, TO WRAP MY RIBS FROM LAFFIN’ SO HARD. YOU GUYS ARE ARE ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK !!!

no caps… has your son changed and checked the oil on a regular basis??? who changed it last?

This is not Click and Clack. How much below the “add” mark. All vehicles will use a little oil. Was the oil checked on level ground and the engine allowed to cool off? Checking the oil right after the engine is shut off will always show low oil. The oil has not had time to travel back to the crankcase. A sticking pcv valve can cause a lot of oil burning but it’s best to check it. Was the oil level on full the last time it was changed? There are a lot of variables here.

Please loose the ALL CAPS. Most people consider them more difficult to read and they are considered shouting.

Tom & Ray don’t visit here. It’s only we peons.

I see nothing in your post to suggest that the car has a problem. But your son is negligent, and unless he learns to take better care of the car it inevitably WILL have a problem. Next time, let me suggest you take him by the collar and show HIM how to check the oil.