Oil Light Comes On In Stop & Go, Then Disappears

2002 Chrysler Sebring. I get the oil changed every 3000 miles. Occassionally, at a red light or stop&go traffic oil light comes on. Do I need a water pump or do I just carry extra oil in the trunk? BTW, Check Engine light has been on since 2005. Bibi (my car) has 105K gentle miles.

Well, you won’t need a water pump for an oil pressure problem. If you’re not consuming oil, there’s no reason to carry it around unless you want to.

Any engine noise associated with the oil light coming on? If not, I suspect a bad sensor. Don’t bother with the mechanical pressure check. Just have the sensor changed. If you truly had THAT low a pressure, you would DEFINITELY HEAR IT.

Does this happen to be a 2.7 V6?

I’d change the pressure sensor out. It cost as much having the pressure verified. So if the guy will do it “while I’m there” sure. If not, then don’t waste the money.

When was the oil last changed?

Why have you left the CEL unattended to for 5 years?

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.   

As for your immediate problem I would agree that it is most likely the pressure sensor. I am guessing that the red light is the oil pressure light and not the CEL. Is that true?

Did you mean to ask if you need an new OIL pump not a water pump?

Have an oil pressure test performed and pray that it’s a defective oil pressure sending unit.

If the Check Engine Light has been on for 5 years I would hardly consider “gentle miles” the correct term to use.

Brought it to various places and mechanics when work needed. None of them could find a reason why the CEL is on. Jiffy Lube 5/2010 couldn’t find out why CEL on when last oil change done.

Thanks for your answers though. Pressure sensor…hmm.

I agree.

And never ever ever go to Jiffy Lube again. While they’re unlikely to be the cause of this particular problem, we get numerous posts here of JL disasters…and I myself have seen stuff there that gave me the willies.

Find an independently owned and operated shop with a good reputation. Ask friends, neighbors, family and coworkers who they use and if there’s anyplace they’d recommend avoiding.

What weight oil are you using??