Oil in car

my daughter bought a 2007 subaru outback and has had to oil in it frequently. she has taken it back to the dealers numerous time and the last time she took it to them they told her that a flat engine takes 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles so she has put in 24 quarts since she bought it what can she do, she just wants to get out of the contract and get another car. if nothing else find out what is the problem and have them fix it.

On some vehicles a quart of oil per 1000 miles is considered “normal” oil consumption. I do not believe, however, that a 2007 Subaru should be consuming this much oil, or any oil, really. Friends of mine have an '07 Subaru, and it never use any oil between changes. My '96 Subaru with over 100,000 miles uses about one quart in 5000 miles.

If the engine is not leaking oil (unlikely) then it’s burning the oil. There are no other options, and a new car that is burning this much oil has a problem, in my opinion. I’m assuming this car is still under warranty. You could try going the the Subaru district representative, but I have a feeling they’re going to stick to the “normal consumption” story, which is BOGUS.

They’re gambling that the warranty will expire and they won’t have to fix it. This is a shame, but that’s how the game is played.

On the other hand, as long as oil is added as required, the car will be fine. I just wouldn’t plan on keeping it longer than a few years. Is the car leased? If so the problem will solve itself when the lease is over.

If your daughter bought this car, then she should keep complaining and document everything.

Its possible that the engine wasn’t broken in properly or may have been damaged during a “test drive” by someone who did not buy it. She may be able to correct this by taking the car out on a little used road and do ten hard accelerations from 30 to 50 mph in high gear. If its an automatic transmission, she will have to press the gas as far as possible without the transmission downshifting. The goal is to put as much pressure on the rings as possible at as low an RPM as possible. The forces the rings to seat, if they still can.

A bigger possibility is that it is leaking oil. It maybe leaking only under pressure so that it is less likely that it will leave an oil spot where its parked. It could be due to any number of seals, but a defective oil pressure sending unit is a very common culprit. Even a poorly installed oil filter can cause a problem, but only temporarily. In any case, the dealer needs to stop the BS and examine the engine very closely. This kind of oil consumption is not normal.

She should also check her states lemon laws. When she informs the dealer that she intends to pursue this course, they will be more responsive. She also needs to demand to talk to the service writers boss as soon as she hears the words “that is normal” or words to that effect. After that, the general manager, the owner, the Subaru Zone Rep (see owners manual) and ultimately, the local TV news investigative reporter or consumer reporter in that order.

The statement from the dealership is pure B.S.–nothing more, nothing less. Kick this up to the Subaru Zone Rep. Contact info is contained in the owner’s manual.

Incidentally, my '02 Outback currently has ~86,000 miles on the odometer, and it has NEVER used oil between changes. My '97 Outback occasionally needed about 1/2 qt. every 3,000-4,000 miles.

That car should not burn,or leak oil at all. Dealership is lying.