Oil for cars

regular oil vs synthetic any thoughts good or bad

Six of one, half dozen of the other IMHO.
Most engine oil-related problems are due to not changing it on a regular basis or even bothering to check the oil frequently.

Here is a link to a page which explains why full synthetic oil reduces chances of sludge in cars that are susceptible to it.

http://www.schleeter.com/oil-sludge.htm

Note the link shows the models most likely to have sludge. If you follow the links at the bottom of the page, you will find people who claim sludge on models not listed.

OK is one of our smartest contributors, and I am not going to say he is wrong. I will say not everyone agrees with him.

This is another case where an individual must read all the conflicting opinions, then make up his own mind, because it’s his car and his money if the engine blows.

Some people say to use regular oil and change it every 3,000 miles but some people report they did change regular oil every 3,000 miles and still got sludge.

Some people think the extra cost is too much. Others say that the difference in cost of oil over the car’s life is nothing compared to the value of the motor.

I drive mostly highway miles, and I use Mobil-1 EP on my 2002 Sienna with 149,000 miles on it. I usually go around 7,000 miles between changes. Those who drive in cold weather or stop-and-go trips need to change much more often.

Some people even spend nearly the cost of changing the oil to test the oil to see if it needs replacement.

In some cases changing the oil every 3k miles is not near often enough.
My sister in law should be changing the oil in her vehicle about every 1k miles.
There’s a driving habit/time factor involved also.

Regular OK in any car that does not specify synthetic. Synthetic in those cars may add a little more protection, may allow for a little longer oil changes and may make it a little easier to start in cold weather. Don’t expect any great changes however.

Those cars that specify synthetic (See the owner’s manual) do require it and using regular oil may cause some expensive damage (sludge) and will not provide the level of engine protection the manufacturer designed in. It also could result in the lose of warranty protection.

In short use what the owner’s manual recommends. Synthetic may substitute for regular but not the other way around.

The only bad on synthetic is price differential over regular.

At One Time Price Difference Was 1:4. Now Price Is Often Less Than 1:2.

With the extended change intervals of synthetic, synthetic and dinosaur should be very close, overall.

I use synthetic. I like the added protection during the very cold days (below 0) here in NH. Since I do my oil changes the cost difference minuscule. I also keep my vehicles well past the 250k mile mark so I’m sure the synthetic is helping there. My last three vehicles I’ve owned, I’ve used synthetic exclusively…and when I sold those vehicles they weren’t burning a drop of oil after 10 years and 300k miles.

Interesting article but not quite accurate . The VW/Audi ’ sludge ’ is not a thick mass but rather small carbon particles that clog the oil pump pickup screen .