Synthetic vs. regular oil

My Jaguar needs an oil change. Is it true that synthetic oils are better lubricants than regular non-synthetics? If I use synthetic oil, will the oil filter last that long. I put on ~10,000 miles/yr, driving 45 minutes twice daily in city traffic.

This subject has been discussed at length here. Do a search for synthetic oil.

I recommend changing the oil twice a year and the filter once a year or changing the filter twice a year and the oil once a year. It probably wouldn’t make any difference as long as you use synthetic oil or if you don’t. That seems to be the type of advice you get if you summarize all the replies you get. Castrol Syntec brags the best, but Mobil 1 tries to compete.

[b]First use the oil type specified in your owner’s manual.

If you follow the rule above, you have little or nothing to gain by using anything else. [/b]

Synthetic is better oil in many ways, but better is not always of any use. One you get to the point the oil will lubricate the engine and prevent wear so that it will last longer than the rest of the car, there is nothing more to gain by using a “better” oil.

That said, you may under some conditions and some cars manage to gain a little mileage using synthetic when conventional would be fine, but it is likely to be a wash when you consider the added cost of the oil.

I don’t know how anyone can recommend anything meaningful without knowing the engine, year, and manufactures recommendations for your car. The short answer is to follow the manufactures recommendations as a minimum; including weight, specifications, and type.

To save some time, the responses you get here will fall into two general categories:

1. Use the best synthetic available because the cost difference is not significant and you won’t ever have to worry about it. Synthetic provides better cold lubrication and reduces start-up wear, but you won’t see the advantage for many, many years/miles (my category).

2. It doesn’t matter, all oil is the same so use whatever is cheapest. I don’t bother to maintain the rest of my car either, so something else will break first and I’ll just junk it anyway. Alternatively, it doesn’t matter because I will sell my car before the engine has a chance to wear out and the next guy can worry about it. Or (my favorite), I expect to get in an accident and total my car before it wears out, so it doesn’t matter.

Decide which category you fall into and act accordingly. (-;

The math indicates that you travel 20 miles in 45 minutes, twice daily. That might be considered extremely harsh conditions. You might contact a cab company to get their opinion on maintenance under such conditions.

Have you ever considered a 300D? M-B diesels have been used for cabs in Europe for many years.

I don’t know how anyone can recommend anything meaningful without knowing the engine, year, and manufactures recommendations for your car. The short answer is to follow the manufactures recommendations as a minimum; including weight, specifications, and type.

To save some time, the responses you get here will fall into two general categories:

1. Use the best synthetic available because the cost difference is not significant and you won’t ever have to worry about it. Synthetic provides better cold lubrication and reduces start-up wear, but you won’t see the advantage for many, many years/miles (my category).

2. It doesn’t matter, all oil is the same so use whatever is cheapest. I don’t bother to maintain the rest of my car either, so something else will break first and I’ll just junk it anyway. Alternatively, it doesn’t matter because I will sell my car before the engine has a chance to wear out and the next guy can worry about it. Or (my favorite), I expect to get in an accident and total my car before it wears out, so it doesn’t matter.

Decide which category you fall into and act accordingly. (-;

BTW, my 82 300D just turned over 400,000 miles while driving from chicago to denver today.

I use diesel rated synthetic 5W40 with 5000 mile oil changes.