Oil filters

This poster is out to frag Fram.

I’ve used Fram filters for over fifty years in my vehicles, family vehicles, relatives vehicles, AND customer vehicles.

Never a problem.

Tester

this is a discussion about oil filters. Why is my opinion the only wrong one?

OK, you saw failed engines, and they had something orange in them. But there’s nothing orange inside a Fram that would do that, it must have been something else.

go to the Fram website and look at the ToughGuard filter. Drainback valve is orange.

You make statements, but have nothing to back them up!

Provide the proof. Simple!

Tester

I posted a link but it hasn’t been approved for posting, that’s why I just said to go look for your self. SIMPLE

So you’re talking about a molded silicone piece, in their higher price filter? That’s the last thing I’d expect to fail. So the claim is the drainback valve came apart and somehow made it through the filter??? Just makes no sense.

just claiming I chose not to use them based on my obsevations, now go question the credibility of everyone else who also doesn’t like Fram

I’m fine with folks not using them. You made very specific claims that could have been easily proven one way or another just by cutting open the filter, something the customer would have demanded if that was the sole reason a multi-thousand dollar warranty claim was being refused by Ford.

Thanks, @2014rubyred3500, for starting a flame war that put this thread over the top. I just love a good oil / oil filter thread. Never disappoints.

Any way to sell tickets?

I think we have to ban all oil & filter brand threads.

People don’t get this uptight about the pills they take which could have more dire effects.

Hmmm, orange silicone. Could it be all The RTV (silicone sealer) that people use to seal up their tired leaking motors that were probably on the verge of lock up in the first place due to chronic oil level/pressure issues. Hmmm, another plausible theory.

by plenty I'm not saying thousands, more like several.

If YOU personally saw several engines…then by expanding that and using simple statistics…there must be TENS OF THOUSANDS of engines that failed because of Fram filters. It’s called simple math. There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of mechanics in the US. And Fram is by far the largest filter manufacturer. So either…

A) You really did have an engine failure, but have no idea what caused it. You’re just guessing it was Fram.

B) You just happen to live in the are where Fram sells their defective filters and you’re the one who sees them.

The problems I have had with oil filters had nothing to do with the filtering properties, but physical aspects of the filter can. I had an MTD 14hp yard tractor with hydrostatic drive that I purchased at Quality Farm and Fleet when I lived in the country… There was an oil filter for the hydrostatic unit and the manual specified a Fram oil filter. When I serviced the unit and replaced the fluid and filter, I couldn’t find the Fram model I needed so I bought the Quality Farm and Fleet filter that the cross-reference manual said was equivalent. When I was mowing, the whole tractor suddenly stopped. When I would raise the mower deck, the support for the mower deck would hit the filter. Eventually, it knocked a hole in the filter and the fluid drained out. The Fram filter specified in the manual was about half an inch shorter and allowed enough clearance.
My other experience was with my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the 260 V-8 engine. When I went to change the oil, the filter could only be removed with an end wrench. I bought the proper filter wrench at NAPA so that I could remove the filter. I used the AC brand filter until one time when the AC filter I needed was not in stock, so I went to the cross-reference manual and bought a Purolator. When I went to change oil the next time, the end wrench that fit the AC filter would not fit the Purolator. After struggling to remove the filter, I then realized I was wearing a filter wrench–my belt. I was able to wrap the belt around the filter and unscrewed the filter right away. Since I found that a belt is a great filter wrench, I bought whatever filter was on sale.

We can all logically assume that whatever destroyed those “several” engines that Rubyred referenced was not caused by Fram oil filters. There is no way for any part of a Fram filter that is orange colored to clog up oil passages.

And it may be that we can also logically assume that Rubyred was telling the truth when he wrote, “I guess I just made it all up then to see if anyone would argue with me”.

Not only that, but what does the color orange have to do with it when it’s the color of the outside of the filter canister ? Filter material seems to be the same as others…“drindleturd” brown/yellow.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=fram+oil+filter+material+picture&pcarrier=&pmcc=&pmnc=
Maybe guilt by association…with orange.

@dagosa

I believe ruby was implying that the orange colored anti-drainback valve came apart and caused engine damage

@db4690 Thanks…