Oil Filters

Back when I had a '75 Civic the first Fram filter I tried on it started to drip at the seam a month after installation.
I generally used Honda filters after that, and on four subsequent Accords.
Whatever company makes the Honda filter appears to do a decent job.

circuitsmith, What strikes me about your post (and others of the same type) is that an experience you had almost 35 years ago dictates your behaviour today.

All those people in the chain of filter production at Fram in 75 are all long gone,but the impression remains.

I posted this a long time ago (2-3 years maybe) but bought a pep boy brand filter and the holes weren’t cut all the way through the aluminum housing. I took it back for a replacement. Good thing I look before putting on the car. I look now before I buy any filter. Granted, this one was probably one in a million so take this with a grain of salt but I did see a defective one so there can be others.

On the other hand, many of MY behaviors today are dictated by experiences I had 35 years ago…

We are all the product of our past. In my case all 58+ years of it.

I’m with mountainbike. I use either Valvoline or Castrol dino oil and Super Tech (Wal mart) filters on both of my Hondas. The Super Tech filters look as well made (and seem to function as well) as any of the better known brands that I’ve used. My Odyssey has 105,000 and my Civic has 173,000 and they both run like a top and neither uses oil.

My brother-in-law spends a lot of money on Amsoil oil and Amsoil filters and looking through the oil filler hole you can see considerable varnish build-up. My heads still look pretty clean.

My brother-in-law spends a lot of money on Amsoil oil and Amsoil filters and looking through the oil filler hole you can see considerable varnish build-up. My heads still look pretty clean.

I know a few people who do that…and then sell the car after 90k miles because they were bored with it.

What about the older standard NAPA filter with the WIX first digit removed from the part number?Other types of thier filters are made by different manufacturers also,how long has NAPA thier silver line?I definitley wont use the silver ignition parts(too cheap).thanks for the info I’ll go to Wally-World and buy a fram and save some genero-Kevin

Had a similar problem with a"Bolens" rider,the NAPA filter body hit the baseplate and wouldnt seal,had to use a “Atlas” filter-Kevin

Well I actually like a NAPA filter for a “Mack” engine,put em on hand tight and dont have any problem,cant say the same for a “Mack” filter-guess who makes the “Mack” filters.I can torque em by hand past one turn after contact,do this with my Hondas also-Kevin

For something like a oil filter or shock-absorber…If I had a bad experience I might try them again.

HOWEVER…For a car purchase…it’ll take a LONG LONG time before I ever buy from them again…I might have couple hundred dollars to waste…I don’t have $35,000 to waste.

dont know who makes Caterpillars filters,but they are definitly premuim-Kevin

Go ahead stick with Honda filters they are good,I usually buy them when they are running a special-Kevin

Disposing of oil filters (hundreds of millions of them a year) is getting to be a problem…Now many new cars have reverted back to the old cartridge filters. I hope they are better designed than the old ones, which were VERY prone to leak…Has anyone ever seen a centrifugal oil filter built into the harmonic balancer? Very effective and they last the life of the engine…

I,haven’t,who made this?-Kevin(seen the "Lube Refiners " on Macks)

I believe it was a Fiat Spyder 850 that used a centrifugal oil filter.

Google it…