Oil filters

You seem to be fixated on filtration…and if a preceived better filter will increase the cars longevity…I was trying to tell you…IT DOESN’T MATTER. Even if the filter WAS 2000% better is it going to make one bit of difference on the longevity of the vehicle?? If a Fram filter can easily get a Vehicle to 300k miles then why do you even care what a “Better Filter” can do???

And I have no affiliation what so ever with Fram or Allied. Just been using their filters for 35 years.

I heard these internet rumors too and I came across a site where some kid cut one open and found some cardboard pieces in it that supposedly makes the filter crappy.

Well, all I know is that my father in law is a mechanic and he only puts cheap Fram filters on all his cars. His old truck, which is older than me and has 400k miles on it, still runs fine on Fram filters.

There is anecdotal evidence that nitrile rubber (the black ones) anti drainback valves often become leaky especially if they are left in service for more than 3000 miles.

What evidence???

Here are the conclusions from a fairly scientific study of a large number of different oil filters.

http://www.greenmediaonline.com/uploads/shoptalk/0610_st.asp

Here is the explanation of how he did the testing on the anti drainback valves:

http://www.greenmediaonline.com/uploads/shoptalk/0606_st.asp

The articles appeared in Green Media Online, which is aimed at the professional turf maintenance industry(golf courses and such).

Concerning the amount of wear that occurs when an engine is cold, I recall that Ford did an experiment back in the 70s. They ran a few V8 Fords around a track continuously for 100,000 miles. They only stopped to refuel, change drivers, tires, oil, etc. The point was they never let the engines get cold.

After 100,000 miles, the cylinder wear was almost non-existent. It was on the order of an engine with less than 10K miles. It was pretty compelling to read their results.

That controlled experiment would support the comments in this thread that indicate the most cylinder wall wear occurs when the engine is cold.

Joe

I do not have Excel but will comment on what I saw on the websites provided:

Mr. Dilger is to be commended for his considerable effort at gathering data to the extent that he did but stopped short possibly due to lack of funds or will.

1. He did not perform actual filtration tests on both new and used filters.
  2. He gave no indication of how long oil filters can be kept in service.
  3. He did not question the reason for the plethora of filter types. A few years ago, I got it from Fram that they had around 200 types.
  4. He did not test the strengh of the filtering media to metal or fishpaper endplate bond on both new and used filters.
  5. He apparently did not check for voids in the filtering media to endplate adhesive. I have seen voids on a metal endplate filter with a resulting internal filter leak allowing oil to pass around the filtering media.
  6. He did not check for pressure drop across both new and used filters.
  7. He did not test antidrainback valves in an actual or simulated engine environment, both cold and hot.
  8. He does not explain how filters can have varying filtration area yet remain effective.
  9. He did not conduct filter housing ultimate bursting pressure tests.

I’ll likely think of more questions after I post this.

As I said, I did not look at the spreadsheet but assume that it is filled with data that Mr. Dilger could measure with simple equipment.

After scanning all the discussion about oil filters…what are you actually saving by buying one filter vs another? perhaps a few dollars…every 5000 miles…big deal! There will be very little agreement so use whatever filter you want.

MikeInNH,

Do you have the month and year for the Consumer Reports test on filters? I would be interested in reading it.

Thanks.

This report is as bad as Bob the oil guy.

I scanned the …610 article. There is allot in there and he did do allot of work. But it seems his overall conclusion is weak after all the work he put in. He is judging the quality of each filter by the robustness of construction and some design features that he feels are important. This is mostly subjective. The spread sheet is helpful to understand filter design and contruction to which he did a good job on. He disected about 30 different oil filters and documented the details of each in a spread sheet. It is interesting to see the relative differences and similarities between brands. You can view it and draw your own conclusions.

Below I pasted his conclusion for everyones convenience.

“In summary, I think it would be fair to say Baldwin, Kubota, Donaldson and AMSOIL are each in a league of their own with no dispute over their superior quality. There were many just plain good automotive filters that meet OEM specifications, but with no outstanding characteristics. Wix provided the most information on its filters, but still left a lot to be desired. If any machinery is in warranty, be sure to only use the OEM?s filter line, no matter who makes it.”

Thanks for providing the links.