Oil Filters

Most anyone that knows anything about oil filters will not use Fram…they have less filtration media and their bypass valves are notorius for sticking and bypassing the filter…and when that happens…you get very little filtration. Many times their pressure valves dont work and at start up you will hear your lifters clatter…but save a buck…it is only your engine.

Most anyone that knows anything about oil filters will not use Fram

I wondered how long it would take for this never-ending Fram myth to show up.

Unless you can show me some evidence that Fram filters will give you any less engine life than the other brands of filters, I believe what you meant to say was:

“Most anyone that knows anything about oil filters knows that Fram are just as good as the rest of them.”

All filters have to undergo SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) tests to verify that they meet the vehicle manufacturer’s specifications.

That likely is the most important thin in that study. It also explains, in part, why we don’t see a lot of engines damaged by oil related factors other than things like not bothering to change the oil or running low on oil because the owner failed to check it or the quick oil change place did not get the drain plug back on properly tightened.

I agree with JoeMario. It hadda happen that baseless interet rumors that are nothing more than pure bunk would be repeated.

The part about “pressure valves don’t work and at startup you will hear your lifters clatter” is proof positive the post is completely wrong.
The insinuation is that a filter maintains pressure in the system, which it does not.
And if someone has lifter rattle on startup then they have defective lifters, not a defective filter.

Again, the filter section at Wal Mart at a sea of orange Fram filters and you can rest assured that if Fram and Wal Mart were selling filters that were even minutely faulty both would need a building full of lawyers to handle all of the lawsuits filed over damaged engines due to sheer numbers sold.

The oil filter study noted is mostly useless in that filtering efficiency is not measured. They admit that much in their post but don’t say “mostly useless”.

The end caps are not cardboard, or more correctly, fishpaper. The end caps are the adhesive that is attached to the fishpaper. Epoxy adhesive, in my view, will adhere more securely to fishpaper than to metal endcaps having used epoxys numerous times for repairs and other applications in an engineering environment.

I have used Fram filters for many years. If I had any thoughts of them being less then adequate, I would simply not use them; there are plenty of other brands available. Fram has been around too long by now to have realized whether or not their filter construction method is adequate to the task.

In addition, there seems to be no shortage in the supply of amateur engineers who can decide whether or not a design is adaquate simply by looking.

Like my friend JoeMario, I would like to see some evidence of this. Anyone who knows anything about oil filters can surely back up his position with some irrefutable evidence.