Oil Changes

I just bought a new Chevy Cruze (2011, 4 cyl turbo). The owner’s manual says to use Dexos motor oil. Is this just a gimmick? Aren’t there lots of high quality motor oils out there?

Read the entire manual closely. The owner’s manual probably recommends a certain brand of oil, but what’s actually required is a particular grade and viscosity. Just make sure the oil you use meets those REQUIRED specifications, not the RECOMMENDED brand.

Call your dealer. Tell them that you’re pretty sure that, according to the Magnuson Moss Act, if they require you to use their own special thing to maintain your warranty then they have to give it to you for free.

When they laugh at you get in touch with a regional GM rep and file a formal complaint. They’ll laugh at you too, but I don’t think they can keep you filing a complaint.

Anyway, I don’t even think the Act would apply. I do, however, sometimes waste my time agitating companies when I think they are doing bad things. It appears that dexos is a particular oil spec that GM has put out. It doesn’t mean it has to be any specific brand or that you have to get it from them (which is why the Act wouldn’t apply).

Read the owner’s manual thoroughly as Whitey said. I’m pretty sure that what it amounts to is that any oil you put in it has to meet Dexos specs (as opposed to, e.g. the standard API specs).

Dexos motor oil is just re-branded Pennzoil with the GM label on it. You can use ANY motor oil that meets or exceeds GM’s specs. In fact…ALL motor oils I’ve seen or used - MEET or EXCEED EVERY manufacturers specs.

The owner’s manual says to use Dexos motor oil. Is this just a gimmick?

Oils that meet the Dexos spec are the ones that GM wants you to use in order to keep the engine running well during the life of the vehicle. There are a lot of different oils that meet this spec that are not only of fantastic quality, but are fairly inexpensive.

Basically, it’s GM’s way of making sure you put a decent quality 5W-30 engine oil into your engine, so that it doesn’t sludge up during the warranty period for the drivetrain. Their way of making sure you don’t put an oil that can only do 3k miles and yet you try to run that oil for 12k miles.

Just about every major oil manufacturer makes an oil that meets the Dexos 1 spec GM requires for your engine. There is always going to be one of those oils on sale at your local autoparts store every weekend.

BC.

Could someone show me an oil that DOESN’T meet GM oil specs??? I’ve haven’t seen and oil in 30+ years that doesn’t meet ALL manufacturers specs for gasoline engines.

What ever oil you purchase just make sure it meets Dexos specification.

To narrow it down on the shelf look for synthetic motor oil and then check if it meets the Dexos spec. I believe most major brands have one that does (eg Mobil 1, Pennzoil , Quaker State.

Conventional will not cut it for Dexos likely.

This is due to turbo motor.

Very highly recommend (a strong suggestion, if you will), you stick with synthetic if you run a turbo. If your car calls for 5W-30, I would even use 0W-30 if you have a source readily available.

Chase

I Wouldn’t Use Anything, But Mobil-1 Synthetic, If That Was My Cruze.
I run Mobil-1 Extended Performance oil in our GM family cars.

Dexos1 is specified for gasoline engines and Dexos2 is specified for diesels.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.aspx

Cruze Talk-dot-com ( http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-chevrolet-cruze-general-discussion-forum/1574-old-stock-mobil1-dexos1-approved.html )

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article001865882.cfm?x=b11,0,w
CSA

My owner’s manual for my Dodge Dart said to use “Genuine Chryco Oil”. EXXON bottled the Chryco oil which was a standard SAE 5W30 Type MS, the normal oil at that time.

Even the dealer ignored this and bought whatever was good oil at a good price.

There are situations where the oil or fluid spec is to be followed. Honda transmission fluid (buy from dealer), Toyota Extra Long Life Coolant, and others.

In all cases, make sure you ahve a fluid that meets the spec, such as for Volswagen or BMW oil.

“I’ve haven’t seen and (sic) oil in 30+ years that doesn’t meet ALL manufacturers specs for gasoline engines.”

Many (or perhaps, most) US motor oils don’t meet the specs established by BMW and some other European manufacturers. The incredibly long oil change intervals specified by many European manufacturers requires motor oils that exceed the specs of what you will find on the shelves in many auto parts stores.

“Many (or perhaps, most) US motor oils don’t meet the specs established by BMW and some other European manufacturers. The incredibly long oil change intervals specified by many European manufacturers requires motor oils that exceed the specs of what you will find on the shelves in many auto parts stores.”

Those long life oils have more additives to prevent oil breakdown. Mobil 1 Extended Service does, too.

If the oil you use does not have the dexos emblem on the label it does not meet GM standards for lubrication of your engine. Period. You must use dexos licensed oil to maintain your engine warranty. Period. What you choose to do after the warranty period is over is your choice.
Mobil, Quaker, and Pennzoil carry engine oils licensed for dexos.

Yup You’re right VDCdriver …I should have said…of vehicles sold in the US.