Dexos 1 oils

Just purchased 2011 Chevy that requires Dexos 1 certified oil. The dealer isn’t using dexos certified oil. For warranty purposes would I do oil change myself with a certified oil?

Never heard of it…
so I googled dexos 1 and found, in only a short scan of many, that you’d better use dexos 1 or face possible warranty void.

It’s so new I’ll bet your dealer doesn’t even know they need it yet . Tell them to get some.

I can’t believe the dealer won’t soon be getting in a supply of Dexos 1 certified oil (call around to other GM dealers). You can get Quaker State or Penzoil or Mobil 1 that meets the spec, I think, check out their web sites.

By all means bring the issue up with the dealer, but as long as they’re doing your oil changes (you should keep your copies of the shop orders for exidence) than they’re responsible to ensure that you have the correct oil and you will be cvered by warranty.

You don’t have to get your oil changed at the dealership. You can go anywhere that sells the Dexos 1 certified oil and you won’t void your warranty. You might tell Chevrolet that the deaer doesn’t follow corporate policy. I bet the get lots of the good stuff real fast.

Get Out Your Checkbook

"Of course, the ?cover charge? to get into the exclusive ?dexos 1? club will be considerably higher than attaining the less exclusive API licensing. These additional costs are not only due to higher licensing fees ($1,000 per licensed oil plus 36 cents per gallon sold), but are also attributable to the higher cost of developing the oil in the first place.

The ?dexos 1? spec will be relatively rigorous, designed to enhance engine protection AND engine oil longevity. As a result, for an oil to meet the ?dexos 1? spec, it will likely be necessary for oil manufacturers to utilize primarily Group III and/or Group IV basestocks in the formulation, certainly adding considerably to the cost of the oil, thus raising the price for the end user. In essence, only synthetic oils and high quality synthetic blends will be able to meet the spec.

Moreover, the costs to produce ?dexos 1? oils will also be higher as the result of additional testing costs to make sure that the oil actually meets the ?dexos 1? specifications. And, lastly, costs will be higher since there does not appear to be a flexible interchange mechanism in place to allow oil manufacturers to purchase ?dexos 1? licensed additive packages or basestock blends from various different suppliers (thereby creating competition and lowering prices)."

While the 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty is a great sales tool, by greatly limiting acceptable motor oils they are also creating a backstage exit door for themselves to deny warranty claims…

Here is a good summary of the Dexos1 spec: http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2010/09/the-new-gm-dexos-engine-oil-specification.html

It looks like Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Quaker State synthetic meet the specs. It’s likely Valvoline Synpower meets the specs too, but after some research, I found that companies that want to have the “Dexos” certifications have to license it from GM and pay royalties in order to display that they meet Dexos specs! Valvoline apparently doesn’t want to play that game.

Find another dealership that is up on this issue.

This is similar to what VW and BMW, among others, have been doing for years, but they typically do it for specific engines, not corporate-wide. I have trouble believing your Equinox has the same oil needs as, say, a Corvette ZR-1!