Oil changes on a new Yaris

Hello all. I just purchased a 2010 Toyota Yaris. I am wondering if it is ok to take it to my regular mechanic for oil changes or whether I should bring it to the dealership.

Nothing special about a Yaris…Take it to your regular mechanic…as long as your regular mechanic isn’t Jiffy Lube. Any good independent garage can change the oil as well or better then the dealer…and usually at a much cheaper price.

Unless you are getting free oil changes fromt the dealer, there is no reason to pay for oil changes there. It is important to keep your receipts from your mechanic, to prove that you accomplished all scheduled maintenance in accordance with the Toyota maintenance schedule should a warranty claim arise.

Use either. Just make sure to keep ALL receipts of work at mechanic in case of the rare chance of an issue. Make sure receipts clearly have miles and date indicated on them.

When I lived close to my dealer, I used to always get oil changes (and only oil changes) done there because they were so cheap and it was convenient. I typically now get them done where I purchased my last set of tires, because the tire rotations are free. I have a regular mechanic and he typically doesn’t do oil changes. He’s always very busy and I only have him do oil changes if he’s already working on the car.

I think they key is keeping documentation. I keep a 2" binder in the back of my car, with the clear plastic sleeves for organizing paperwork. Whenever I get any work done or buy anything for the car, the invoices/reciepts immediately get filed away.

I tend to keep cars until they’re completely shot but having proof of maintenance always helps in resale. It’s also very important for those with the very long powertrain warranties.

As long as you keep records to document that the oil was changed at or before the specified interval you can have this done anywhere you want.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Be sure the receipts show what kind of oil was used and make sure that is what is specified by the manufacturer. More and more require synthetic or semi-synthetic.

I am one who takes my Toyota to the dealer for serious work. I know what conventional wisdom says, but conventional wisdom does not live in McAllen, Texas. There are some doggone good mechanics in McAllen. Some of them actually want you to leave your car for several days, because they are so swamped they need to try to ‘work it in’. With only one car, I can’t do that. Others will tell you they can work on it next week.

Another issue as I have said before (and Docnick moved forever to my hero list when he understood what I am doing) I am on a high-rel maintenance program, because of the difficulty of getting repairs here in Mexico. There is a tendency for other mechanics to push rebuilt parts and I don’t want them on my car. When I can’t get new parts it will be time to get another car.

The thing that saves me is it really doesn’t need many repairs under my current maintenance program. So, total cost for new Toyota parts is not that much in a given year.

Also, usually I troubleshoot my own car, having worked 31 years as a Senior Technician, and the dealer mechanics do not get on their ear if I tell them replace as requested, do not diagnose. They just have me sign a waiver that if it doesn’t fix the problem they are not responsible, which is cool with me.

Um, let me see, I think I have had two or three actual repairs beyond needed maintenance in 164,000 miles, can’t remember for sure. One was a strange problem, took me months to narrow down, failure code involving loss of vacuum in gas tank. Finally realized it was charcoal canister assembly, probably a low pressure valve sticking, it would have cost a fortune for most mechanics to troubleshoot, since it only failed once a week or less.

Plus I can usually call up and take it in the next day; free shuttle; and get it back the same day.

Before I moved to McAllen, I virtually never took a car to the dealer.

I do agree in general principle, though, that as a general rule if you have a good mechanic do not take your car to the dealer except for warranty issues.

I do change my own oil, renew the transmission fluid by drain and add, and rotate my own tires, etc.

The Toyota dealer where I take my 2007 Yaris does the oil changes without an appointment and does the minor checking when it is due. I like the newer car experience very much. You may also take a liking to it. You can switch the way you do it at any time.

I am one who takes my Toyota to the dealer for serious work. I know what conventional wisdom says, but conventional wisdom does not live in McAllen, Texas. There are some doggone good mechanics in McAllen. Some of them actually want you to leave your car for several days, because they are so swamped they need to try to ‘work it in’. With only one car, I can’t do that. Others will tell you they can work on it next week.

A couple of mechanics I know…only book out 3 days. If they’ve filled their quota (which happens all the time)…they’ll tell the car owner to call back and book then. It saves them time and customers…If you really have a problem and really need to get it in there…then the most you’ll have to wait is 2-3 days…NOT a week. It works out nicely.