Oil change interval for 2018 Hyundai Ioniq

My car’s maintenance schedule says the engine oil change is 7,500 miles or one year. The car is an Ioniq plug-in that I drive almost exclusively in EV mode. So when 7,500 miles is on the odometer, I might have put only 1,000 miles or less on the gasoline engine. Isn’t that too soon to change the oil? I haven’t been able to get an answer from Hyundai.

Just change it at 1 year because that is required and why would you chance causing warranty problems by not doing so ?

You missed my point. I want to change oil at one year but the maintenance schedule says 7,500 miles (on the odometer) or one year whichever comes first. At 7,500 miles I will have less than 1,000 miles on the gasoline engine. And of course I don’t want a warranty problem.

I did not miss a point - You change at 7500 miles ****on the vehicle or at 1 year of use ( every year ) I don’t know how much clearer it can be.

2 Likes

But you will have a year’s worth of accumulated moisture in the oil and it should be changed as the manual states.

1 Like

7500 on the vehicle, or does yours have a separate odometer for the gas engine?

One year is one year; what is so difficult about that??? When the car is out of warranty you can do an oil analysis to determine what the best interval is. The right interval depends on your driving pattern, which the carmaker knows nothing about so they play it safe… A cross country trip once a year is very different from 365 cold starts to go to 7-11 to pick up a newspaper!
My late father-in-law did just that (daily trip to 7-11) and wondered why he should change his oil “prematurely”.

7,500 miles on the only odometer. I have been estimating gasoline engine usage based on fuel used. I have 1,000+ miles on the car now and maybe 150 miles on the gasoline engine.

Forget about how often the gasoline engine has turned on . . . get that out of your head right now, please

Change your oil every 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first . . . regardless of if the gasoline engine turned on or not

Pretty simple, no?

1 Like

Simple, apparently not .

2 Likes

It SHOULD be very simple

But I believe op is massively over analyzing the whole thing

If the vehicle had a maintenance computer you could probably go a year on an oil change but without such a monitor you will have to go by the manufactures requirement of every 7500 miles which unless you don’t drive much might work out to twice a year. Some have suggested that once a year is sufficient but that goes against the manufactures requirements.

It really depends on whether or not you are willing to void your warranty. The language in your manual is very specific. You want to interpret it in a way the manufacturer certainly will not if you ask them to replace your gasoline engine.

I understand OP’s confusion but the answer for now as stated by others is to follow the manual’s scheduled maintenance of 7,500 miles or 1 year which ever comes first so as not to risk voiding the power train warranty. Although estimating Internal Combustion (IC) engine miles driven by fuel consumption is logical it does not meet the printed requirement of 7,500 miles. Is this the first year the Ioniq plug-in hybrid has been available? I suspect the 7,500 mile or 1 year whichever comes first oil change requirement is the “normal operation” standard for Hyundai (IC) vehicles. My first year (2010) Kia Forte had a scheduled maintenance requirement to lubricate the “front drive shaft” every 15,000 miles. It ended up being a requirement for the All Wheel Drive (AWD) Kia Sorento erroneously included in the Forte manual. I suggest you bring your concern to the attention of your Hyundai dealer service department. There may already be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding it. My Kia dealer changes oil and filter for $30. Is it worth voiding your warranty for that.

Hyundai wants you to change it after one year and you want to change it after one year. I don’t understand why there’s a question here.

Like many posts.
I spent $30,000 on a vehicle, but do not want to spend $30 on a oil change.
Or, I want to use my battery until it fails at midnight, 20 miles from home rather than replace it after 4 years, cost $25/year.
Or, I still have good tread on my10 year old tires.

1 Like

There is absolutely nothing ambiguous about Hyundai’s maintenance schedule.
Does the OP not understand that the mfr’s statement means that the oil should be changed at least once each year–no matter how few miles have been driven?
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

There is something about that terminology that reads like Greek to some significant percentage of auto owners. I don’t know why.

Because changing the oil at 1 year while exceeding 7,500 miles on the odometer would technically void the warranty as already stated in several posts. Why? Because the requirement is “whichever comes first”. I also don’t understand why there is a question here.

The question results from the engine running for 1500 miles during the, say, 8 months the OP travels 7500 miles. As others have said, if Hyundai had an OLM that accounted for the ‘off’ time, then the OP could follow the OLM. But they don’t, so the OP is stuck following the ‘7,500 miles or 12 months’ requirement.