Oil change frequency

What is the recommended interval between synthetic oil changes? I own a 2001 Concorde and use 10W30 synthetic oil. I’ve seen every 3000 miles up to every 5000 miles.

Change oil at the frequency specified in the owner’s manual. What does the manual say? Don’t exceed the factory interval regardless of oil type.

I’ll check…my first inclination is 3000 miles. Thanks for responding.

Most newer cars have an oil change intervals significantly longer than 3,000 miles. For instance, both my '96 Subaru and my '97 Acura specify 7,500 mile oil change intervals. I usually shorten it to 5,000 miles, just to be on the safe side.

There is also a time interval, usually specified in months. Use mileage or months, whichever comes first.

No need for 3,000, unless you fall under the ‘severe’ driving conditions and that’s what your manual recommends.

For instance, both my '96 Subaru and my '97 Acura specify 7,500 mile oil change intervals.

The oil change interval on my Pathfinders was 7500 miles also…EXCEPT for extreme driving conditions and then the recommended interval is 3k miles…Unless you drive at 50mph all highway driving and no more then 20 minutes…it’s considered EXTREME.

My 05 4runner just says…every 5k miles.

5000 is a safe interval for the vast majority of folks using proper spec oil.

My parents have used for the last 30 years and me personally with no ill effects.

Just check your oil level once in a while and don’t get lax on oil changes.

“The oil change interval on my Pathfinders was 7500 miles also…EXCEPT for extreme driving conditions and then the recommended interval is 3k miles…Unless you drive at 50mph all highway driving and no more then 20 minutes…it’s considered EXTREME.”

That is a bit too narrow a definition. Our van uses the GM oil change algorithm and we don’t use any extra oil after about 90,000 miles. We change when the oil life is 10% or less; at least 7000 miles. My wife drives it on short trips, mostly, with rides of at lest 20 minutes several times a week. If I hadn’t seen these good results, I would have classified her service as extreme. FWIW, California recommends tht anyone with a GM vehicle that uses the algorithm should use it to determine when to change the oil. They claim that the recommendation is based on tests within the state fleet.

“No need for 3,000, unless you fall under the ‘severe’ driving conditions and that’s what your manual recommends.”

Or you are driving a 1953 Ford. :slight_smile:

If you really want to know, do oil analysis and find out for sure.

For a 2001 Concorde use the FRAM filter that says to go 10,000 miles on synthetic oil. It’s a Concorde so you shouldn’t be fussy.

Holy smokes, 10%? I’ve never gone below 45% and I’m changing the oil. No way I could in good conscience let it go that long. On my commuter I change once a month at 3000. The car that sits all the time I change twice a year at 1-2000, and the new car gets changed at 5000 with the oil minder at about 50%. That’s the way I’ve done it for years and I’m not about to change now regardless of what anyone says. Cars are too expensive to quibble over $20 for an oil and filter change.

“Holy smokes…”

And what you say means nothing to me, too. I have over 250,000 on three cars doing this and I don’t burn oil on any of them.

“Cars are too expensive to quibble over $20 for an oil and filter change.”

Wow, where do you go? Only way I can get an oil change done for less than $30 is to do it myself.