Oil Change for a 2007 LS 460

Just talked to the service department at lexus and the LS 460 uses a zero weight oil that cost almost $90 and it you don’t use it, all kinds of sensors go off. It looks like I am stuck!

What is the weight and spec of that oil? I’m sure there are alternatives to that of the Lexus branded stuff.

Your Lexus uses 0w-20 or 5w-20. Mobil 1 is available in both, so other shops can get it. You need to read your owner’s manual, it gives the info in there. You are absolutely not stuck with the dealer, even though they’ll try and scare you. An oil change is very simple, assuming you find a good shop. Have you tried the mechanic finder?

0w20 is widely available, both synthetic and otherwise. I have never heard of a relatively small gasoline V8 that holds nine quarts of oil, but I suppose it’s possible. $128 seems like an awful lot for an oil change, in any event.

Thanks. While it has been used for hydraulic fluid since the invention of hydraulic lifters, it’s possible that since it’s now being used as a hydraulic fluid for the variable valve timing also it becomes more critical.

I like the higher volumes. I like the idea. Clean is better!

$90 through the dealer. The EXACT SAME OIL can be bought at Wallmart for half that price.

Yikes!

Correct. Also a larger volume of synthetic is better at taking away the heat of a compact well covered engine bay. A '95 M3 works well with 8qts Mobil 1, and it’s a straight 6, and you get less lifter ticking under high g loads. In the event that the cooling system malfunctions, you might expect less engine trauma if caught in time, compared to regular oil.

9 Quarts of oil is not unusual in high end cars.I have a Benz ML320 it takes 8.5 quarts of 5W20 Mobil 1. Dealer charges me $95 for an oil change. Local mechanics are only about $10.00 less.

5w-20 Mobil-1 costs ME full retail $3.50/qt. Times 8.5 quarts = $29.75. A high quality filter from Wix or Mobil-1 is $8…total - $37.75

That leaves $57.25 in LABOR…WOW…

9qts x $7-$8/qt(full retail on synthetic) = $63-$72 in oil alone.

Add another $10-$20 for filter, crush washer and environment fees

For the $128 you are leaving $40-$50 for labor (likely half hour tech time).

For all that money I believe it is inclusive of interior vacumm and nice waiting room or likely loaner(not sure of Lexus stance)

9qts x $7-$8/qt(full retail on synthetic) = $63-$72 in oil alone.

You’re comparing the price the Lexus dealer is charging…NOT what the oil actually costs…You live in NH…You can buy Full Synthetic oil (Mobil, Castrol, Penzoil, Quaker State) for under $4…$7-$8 is OUTRAGEOUS.

That’s Way More Than I Care To Spend For An Oil Change.

I run Mobil-1 and 5 quarts and a filter, DIY it in 20 minutes on my schedule and it runs about $100 less per oil change than with this car. Multiply that by four changes per year and it’s $400. Multiply that by ten years (I keep my cars longer than that.) and that’s $4000.00. I bought my son a nice car for $4000.00.

CSA

WOW where are you buying your Mobil 1 for $3.50, best price I can find is $32.50 for a case of 6 that comes out to $5.41 per quart.K&N oil filter $18.00. That works out to $46.00 for oil, $18.00 for filter, that totals $64.00 for parts.

Wall-Mart…or BJ’s Wholesale Club.

My Nearest Advance Auto Parts Sells An Advertised Package Deal Of 5 Quarts Mobil-1 And A Mobil-1 Filter For Just Under $30, 2 Or 3 Times Per Year.

The filters go for over ten bucks by themselves. I stock up with a couple deals at a time.

CSA

Wix makes this filter…and it goes for $8. I agree an OEM filter is going to be more…but it isn’t better.

You added a good point about the packed engine compartments and the insulation. Typically, engines today are covered by a large plastic cover the underside of which is a sheet of sound insulation to absorb valvetrain noise…which, coincidentally, also insulates against heat loss.

And with so much other stuff stuffed into the engine compartment, perhaps they’re finding a need for more oil. Oil does, after all, carry heat away in addition to lubricating.

You know what, the next time we get a question on oil I’m going to have to remember to point out that oil does more than just make the surface slippery. It’s a hydraulic fluid, a cleanser of particulates (carrying them to the filter for capture), and a heat removal fluid.

depending on the region, $60~80/hr isn’t unheard of for an hour’s labor. And since it’s an MB…

I have a couple friends who own Rolls Royces’. They think nothing of $700.00 to $1,000.00 for that service.

Feel better now?

Use a full synthetic oil, of the specified viscosity, and a filter designed for use with synthetic oil, such as Amsoil. And change at the factory recommended times…NOT 3,000 miles.

Right here at CAAH-TAWK is a place to find mechanics near you. Or ask people you know and trust where they would send their mother.