Oil and smoke

I have a 1979 VW westfalia campervan with a 1986 subaru XT6 motor in it .Last year on my way back from mexico i was heading to a hotspring up in the mountains .A friend was behind me in his 1987 vanagon when my engine started smoking like a fogging machine oil was coming out of the exhaust so bad my friends windshield was covered in oil? I assumed a cracked piston?broken rings? I pulled over immediatly and there was almost as mush smoke coming out of the crankcase as there was the exhaust. Iwas in a remote part of mexico so it was all downhill from there to the next big city so i started down . the smoke slowely subsided over a 100 mile period to the point where the engine was running like it was new? I had just checked the PCV less than 300 miles earlier and it was clean and clear? Not sure whats up engines usually dont fix there selfs.

We don’t know either…How much oil was lost? Off the subject, did you use the Subaru transaxle or somehow manage to adapt the engine to the VW bellhousing…

There is more to PCV’s than just the valve. The vacuum hose can collapse, shutting down the system. The intake manifold port can plug up, shutting down the system. If there is oil in the dry side, the crankcase air intake side, make SURE the PCV has a high flow rate and is not plugged up in some manner. They WILL stop burning oil when there is no more oil to burn…

The transaxel is a standard VW the adapter was copied from a Kennedy enginering adapter . The distributor had to be moved to the left side cam and a bracket had to be fabed up to work off the end of the cam pully the original position was blocked off. Too bad VW didn’t go in this direction a long time ago the original engine was turned into beer cans at least some good came out of that engine. Thanks for the reply i will check all the Crank case hoses and PCV again.

Not sure about your problem but I can comment it was popular to also use Nissan V-6’s from the Maxima line for this swap. Great camper van body, not so great engine (the VW) Maxima engine swap was spot on,there were kits made to do it.