Help please respond to smoking car?

please pass on thoughts smoking car is a incorrectly done seal,o ring or vaulve guide or worn rings??? did aamco screw up my car?

Tell us why you brought your car to Aamco and what they said they would do for you. Also tell us when your car smokes, the color of the smoke, and what Aamco said when you reported it to them.

trans went out and wife wanted oil leaks fixed. they rebuilt trans replaced front and rear seals and tps and idle air. leaks are stopped but when u start it it smokes bad. goes away a lil after driving but aamco said it was nothing they did. smoke looks white to me. someone else said it was lt blue but 2 qts oil in a week and check engine lt goes on if you get on hwy for a lil while

I don’t see what a transmission rebuild and the repairing of any engine oil leaks would have to do with burning oil and smoking out the tailpipe.

What kind of car? How many miles? Buy it new or used? Any KNOWN overheating problems?
When the trans went out on the wife did she stop or continue to thrash the car, and the engine, in an attempt to get it to move?

93 olds cutlass convert 3.4 150k miles never over heated ran great tranny and seal leaks were only problem but 2 quarts in a week compared to 1 quart a month and smoke is probably lt blue. check engine light comes on after getting on hwy for 1/2 hour. did they screw up a seal or something??

The only thing I can think of would be if there is a problem with the PCV valve. This could allow the crankcase to pressure up but usually this will cause oil leaks also.

What engine seals were replaced? Intake manifold off or anything like that?

rear main oil pan and front seal

car did not smoke b 4 but all oil leaks were stopped they said it could not be anything they did cause they only"tightened things up"

no oil leaks now but smoke(blue)is really bad

leaks are stopped but when u start it it smokes bad. goes away a lil after driving I doubt if it will stop smoking after driving for long. That sounds like the converter is eating the oil and it will not be long before it gets sick from all that oil and you will need a new converter. Blue smoke is oil, white is water, as in engine coolant.

check engine lt goes on

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.

hi this is actually the wife now, since I drive it most of the time. total of work they did was the tranny, rear main oil seal, pan gasket, front cover, throttle positioning sensor, idle air control, serpentine belt, cam belt, timing cover. when I first picked it up and started it blew a ton of smoke. I checked the oil and it showed a qhart and half low and real thin. had the oil changed to heavier oil next day. they put in what it called for but it still showed 1 1/2 qrt low, so they added more. still smoking, basically everytime I start it, while I am idling (a little) and when I have to punch it. maybe it’s smoking all the time and I just don’t see it as I am going down the road, don’t know. I have noticed however that if I do have to punch it it will go, but it acts like it hesitates in and out until I let off the gas a little. other that that seems to shift fine. the only time I see the ckeck engine light, is after I get up on the interstate and hold it wide open for a while, and if it makes any difference, the gas mileage is awesome, still getting about five over what it called for new! thanks for the help!

What was the bottom line for these repairs, if we might ask?

Do you know if they removed the engine / transmission from the car to perform these repairs?? Replacing the front and rear seals with the engine in place would be very difficult if not impossible…Was the engine placed on an engine stand and turned upside down? If so, debris may have come loose and plugged up the valve area drain holes, causing one side or the other to fill up with oil and run down the valve guides into the engine. That would also explain the “missing” 1.5 quarts of oil…

Learn this. Cars are disposable consumer products. They were not designed or built to last forever. Spending serious money on 14 year old, 150,000 mile cars seldom has a happy ending…

The more I hear, the more I like the PCV valve or hose being clogged. Also, this may be an indicator that the rings are going bad. Check the air intake at the throttle body, and see if there are traces of wet oil. I’ll bet the oil is being forced into the air intake line at the fresh air line to the crankcase, and being sucked into the engine.

I don’t know how these scamco guys stay in business. I wouldn’t even have them check my oil let alone do engine and trans work. Basically shoe salesman changing transmissions.

One thing I would check is the vacume modulator for the transmission if it has one to see if it is leaking. Otherwise if they screwed up the PCV, 'spose that could do it. I just wouldn’t believe a thing they said. Some kid could have screwed it up and they’ll just lie and cover it up. Just take it to another shop to have it looked at. No way would I have those guys look at it again.

Bing

ok… been under the hood all morning… i may have found it… i went in serach of the pcv valve to check it. It was not where I remember it used to be… ahah…seems as though when they had the motor out they must have taken off the pcv valve which by the way is an inline valve, but in putting it back on, now the part that used to be up top, is now down on the back side where I cannot get to it and i believe that they flipped everything around making the pcv now having the flow going the wrong way, hence acting as though it is plugged up! not positive, but that is where I am at this point. And as for costs…:frowning: tranny was supposed to be 1700, no problem, but when you add in torque conv. mad it 2000… still ok, love my car and has always run fabulous. then little by little with seals, belts, the front cover, etc, things that needed to be done and were easier while the motor was out…well their costs 2800.00 plus the 330.00 I paid for the front cover from the dealer, because that was the only place you could get this particular one, and 90.00 for plugs and wires, so, what? 3200.00 total? as much as I hated things adding up so much, by the time we realized what all was involved, we were already paying 2k for the tranny, take it or leave it. :frowning: any way, back to the pcv valve, I cannot get to it anymore because they way they put it back in, you have to at the very least tilt the motor to get to it, so back it goes, we’ll see!

ok… been under the hood all morning… i may have found it… i went in serach of the pcv valve to check it. It was not where I remember it used to be… ahah…seems as though when they had the motor out they must have taken off the pcv valve which by the way is an inline valve, but in putting it back on, now the part that used to be up top, is now down on the back side where I cannot get to it and i believe that they flipped everything around making the pcv now having the flow going the wrong way, hence acting as though it is plugged up! not positive, but that is where I am at this point. And as for costs…:frowning: tranny was supposed to be 1700, no problem, but when you add in torque conv. mad it 2000… still ok, love my car and has always run fabulous. then little by little with seals, belts, the front cover, etc, things that needed to be done and were easier while the motor was out…well their costs 2800.00 plus the 330.00 I paid for the front cover from the dealer, because that was the only place you could get this particular one, and 90.00 for plugs and wires, so, what? 3200.00 total? as much as I hated things adding up so much, by the time we realized what all was involved, we were already paying 2k for the tranny, take it or leave it. :frowning: any way, back to the pcv valve, I cannot get to it anymore because they way they put it back in, you have to at the very least tilt the motor to get to it, so back it goes, we’ll see!

oh i forgot… I took the air cleaner intake hose off, st the front back end and at the actual throttle body housing there is a small amount of black, loose oil, then about halfway up on the hose there is a very small amount of very new oil. checked the oil again and now three quarts low (ouch!) since the oil was changed like 500 miles ago

update… yup, called the aamco back, and true t form, they of course thought that no woman would have any clue what she was talking about when it comes to the car…so i took it in… low and behold…!.. the pcv valve is in backwards! something about the diagram on the car sticker and specs are not right, yada yada yada, long story short, if I had just taken it to them and said something is wrong, they would have run the codes, replaced the pcv, run the codes again, then scratched their heads! Anyway, pcv in right now, new tranny, no oil leaks, no smoking, and back to having one hell of a car again!!!
thanks for all the comments!