Oh, no! Now we won't be able to buy

So would the C3!

Yeah mine collapsed from the side so never got a chance to test a frontal impact. We were kids though then so were safe.

Like you, I was lucky to have never encountered a full frontal impact in my brother’s '64 VW Bug. Yes, we thought that we were invincible, but… :thinking:

And, in that era, when almost everyone smoked like a chimney, I can recall thinking–after some gas was spilled in his trunk during fill-up, and gas fumes filled the passenger cabin–
This can’t be safe

According to the old saying, God protects drunks, but I guess that he also protects naïve teens and twenty-somethings who are riding in seriously-outdated vehicles, because you and I managed to survive the experience. Still, I wouldn’t suggest that anyone ride in one of those cars today, unless it was at low speed, and for short distances.

Except a 59 in 1968 wasn’t exactly outdated. I’ve driven older cars when I was 50 years old. Yeah according to today’s standards. Seat belts wouldn’t have helped either of us but an air bag might. So it goes.

The one’s at the Lane Motor Museum that have the interior pictured have a radio installed, the Trabant they’re selling has what looks to be an aftermarket radio. $7,500 for a 601p (looks like a copy of the Fiat Jolly)

1 Like

Nah, I’d rather stick with an incomprehensible regime and see if I could find and old Citroen 2CV.

Great website, and appears to be a magnificent museum.

1 Like

If anyone is in the vicinity of Naples, be sure to schedule a visit to the Revs Institute. Either self guided or a 2 hr Docent tour. You might even get me as your Docent or just in the museum answering questions… There are volunteers all around the museum with great facts and stories about the histories of the cars for the self guided guests.

5 Likes

Collectible Automobile magazine has an excellent article in the June 2022 issue about Briggs Cunningham and his cars.

I will look for it. Briggs was quite the guy… racer, car manufacturer, collector, sailor…

I recall Tom and Ray used to make jokes on their radio program about the Trabant and the Muscowvitch … lol …

In one of the James Bond stories, Bond is driving a Russian car in the Caspian Sea area, and he hears an annoying noise, and finds that the car has a lever in the foot pedal area he’s supposed to push now and again to lube something. I guess that feature could be called annoying, or charming, depending on your perspective :wink: … in any event it sounds like one of my" own “work-a-rounds”

Oh stop. Our 57 Ford had that problem with oiling the lifters so my dad used to carry an oil can to squirt on the lifters every now and then. Never thought about mounting something in the car. Traded for a 58 Chevy.

1 Like