For the past 5 months, I have been suffering from coughing, headaches, nausea, dizziness, nose/throat/lung irritation and chest tightness due to driving my car. The symptoms linger for a few days when I stop using car but return immediately when driving again. About 3 months ago, I started researching what could be getting me sick. I went to health clinics, car dealers, and mechanics. I have scoured the web to find solutions but only come across posts that mention many complaints with no apparent solutions. I am on a mission to fix my car and my healthy before it kills me.
I have been trying to systematically eliminate all possible sources of toxic fumes. Sadly, I have learned that most things in gas powered cars are highly toxic. After visiting many dealers and countless mechanics I have come to the conclusion that they are not capable nor able to fix a car that has become toxic and would rather you just buy a new car. Unfortunately that might be the only solution for most people.
In my quest to solve this problem I have found the possible sources of toxicity are fuel vapor, refrigerant fumes, coolant fumes, exhaust fumes, mold, interior out-gassing, and oil mist. Most are toxic and carcinogenic even if individuals do not have an allergic reaction when inhaling these substances. Only a few people even notice that all these toxic elements are present in high-mileage vehicles. Even Prop 65 is used to defend the auto industry from blame. Just ask all the dealers.
I tested the vehicle for mold, refrigerant leaks, exhaust leaks, combustible gases, CO and nothing. Interior out-gassing is not really possible in old cars. Everyone wants you to believe it's something else. I have come very close to determining it is the actual oil in your car such as transmission and motor oil. I have even spoken to many oil service centers and oil companies yet most deny any health concerns.
Remember I said toxic odorless fumes. That already eliminates most gases. As it turns out most if not all high-mileage vehicles leak transmission/engine oil. Just look at any parking lot. Now if oil is leaking so is oil mist/vapor due to the boiling temperatures of the engine. That oil mist builds up in the engine compartment and slowly finds its way into the cabin to fill with toxic fumes. It doesn't matter if you use AC, recirculate vents, or open all windows. These toxic fumes still enter your lungs when inhaling. Respirator masks don't even help. There is no odor because the fumes consist of hazardous toxic chemicals present in oil additives. The oil is not actually being burnt. It's the toxic chemicals that are evaporating.
Ask anyone working with engine oil and few even know about the SAFETY DATA SHEET (SDS). There it clearly lists the hazardous chemicals and additives present in the toxicity report. Some oils are less toxic than others with synthetic oils having the most toxic additives. I have tested by trying different oil types and brands.
Taken from SDS
INHALATION. Oil mist can irritate airways and lungs. Heating can generate vapors that may cause respiratory irritation, nausea and headaches.
So here is the dilemma. If all high-mileage cars leak oil how do you fix all leaks and/or find non-toxic engine oil. The simplest solution which conveniently benefits car manufactures is to get rid of it.
I am 99% sure it is the engine/transmission oil. The clues are everywhere just taking a long time piecing it all together.
Sorry for the length but I had to get this information out to the community. Please send me your feedback and advice to help solve this health concern. Most car dealers, mechanics, oil companies simply don't care about drivers' health.