O2 Sensor 2002 Mit Montero Sport 3.0L

Diagnostics say I need a new O2 sensor; cost to replace $512.

Q: It was “shorted” out. What is the actual affect on the fuel/engine?

Q: Will it hurt to run the car for a few weeks until this is repaired?

Q: Is it better to seek a less expensive auto shop than the dealer?

Thanks in advance to your answers.

$512 is pretty exspensive, can buy sensor for under$100,wont hurt to run it but it will most likely set off more fault codes on your ecm.

Q: Will it hurt to run the car for a few weeks until this is repaired?

Hard to say for sure. Likely not. It should be in limp mode, giving you less power and lower mileage.

Q: Is it better to seek a less expensive auto shop than the dealer?

Almost always. Well less expensive anyway. Dealers have higher overhead and will charge more. They also tend to have a different philosophy tending to replace any part that is defective or may be defective while the independent mechanic tends to repair or replace the minimal number of parts required to return the car to good service.

Dealers are not better (or worse) than independent mechanics. In a very few situations they have equipment or information not available to most independent mechanics.

Drop by AutoZone and have the car scanned for any codes. Post them back here for further discussion.

If you really need an O2 sensor then you can price this around and save some money over the dealer price. The dealer is not gouging you because they’re higher; it’s because the dealer cost on an O2 sensor will probably be higher than the retail price of one from a parts house.

I mention getting it scanned or another opinion because a diagnosis of a “shorted out” O2 sensor sounds odd. That’s a strange way of describing an O2 problem.

If it were a dead short, it would be impossible to cruise at a steady speed. It hurts to drive it but there may be no damage when you’re done. Since you didn’t notice problems while driving, you will probably have no damage. For that price, I would change it myself or go to a place with realistic prices.