Nut job with a death wish!

So, as a retireing from the navy present i bought myself a 2001 V6 4x4 Ford ranger, bright yellow with step sides (the ‘Edge’). and over the last 7 years it’s been a good truck, but I really don’t love it. What i think i’d love is a '65 VW Crew cab. I already own a '70 VW convertible beetle (standard beetle) and it was my first car and it still runs and has proven it’s self to not only be a great driver (every where from daily driving, to on a couple feet of packed snow to go snowboarding), it’s biggest failing is that it’s really hard to haul loose gravel, beauty bark, mountain bikes and more than 2 people over 5ft tall.

My question is this: with all the money that a car needs for insurance and maintenance is it in the end better to spend money on a death trap that you love driving, or tones of money on a vehicle that ‘does the job’?.

I once owned a 1971 VW bus, which I drove and loved for 8 years. It hauled anything and everything we could throw in it. Not quickly, but steadily, and it shrugged off snow as it it weren’t there.

I remember logging trucks (loaded) passing me as I climbed the hills of WVA in third gear, foot to the floor, and I remember the shocked looks of people in Jeeps as I followed them through terrain they thought would be impossible for a bus.

I also remember scraping frost off the INSIDE of the windshield because the heater is a total joke, even when it’s working. You have to dress warmly in the winter.

I recently spotted a bus the same year and color as mine on the lot of a place that deals in restored VWs, and I have to admit I’m sorely tempted to go check it out.

Death trap? Sure. Your feet are inches behind the front bumper, and there’s no such thing as a “crush zone.” But that only matters if you rear end someone or have a head-on collision. What are the odds?

If you’ve found a crew-cab in decent shape, and you think you’d enjoy driving it, I say go for it. Post pictures.

When you are young and just starting out, it makes sense to drive an economical, but adequate, vehicle so that you have money for more important things like family, house and retirement nest egg. At your age, it’s time to get what you want as long as you don’t go broke doing it. If you can find a VW in good shape, go for it!

My only question - you make it sound like finding that VW would be cheaper than the ‘more rational’ alternatives. I’d be surprised, these are rare, a decent one will not come cheap!

Life is short and you’re dead a long time so why not enjoy life whenever possible?

If you’d prefer the '65 and it’s within your means, then go for it!

I don’t recall the exact product but I do remember the message of an old TV commercial. Maybe you will remember it too. There are these two elderly gentlemen seated on a park bench when a young lady strolls by. The one guy says to the other “Remember those stewardesses that invited us to go to Sweden with them?”. The second one replies “Yeah” with a hint of fond remembrance in his voice. Then the first one says “We should have went”.

That is such a tough question, I am going to take the coward’s way out. I think you should look for something that is both safe and you love driving. There is such a wide variety of cars out there that there has to be SOMETHING made in the last 15 years that does both.

…and if you ever decide to sell that 1970 Beetle, let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1969-VOLKSWAGEN-SINGLE-CAB-PICK-UP-DAILY-DRIVER-LOW-RES_W0QQitemZ280292645833QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item280292645833&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

This is as close as it gets on eBay - for $8000

Yes, not cheap - and the ones that are crew cabs (4 doors) go for a little more - $10k or so for ones in good shape.

Thanks! You guys give great advise! Mostly because You kind of agree with me anyway :wink:

Fred

What i think i’d love is a '65 VW Crew cab

What part of that did you not understand?

Still looking to replace my 68 cougar xr7 black vinyl over white, That is my car, anyone got one?