Not getting the 30-51 MPG

I don’t know if this would make a difference. After the engine was replaced, it made a sound when I put the car in reverse. I took it to a mechanic and they said the engine belt tensioner needs to be replaced. Could that affect my mpg?

Every place I check shows Up to 30 city and Up to 40 highway . Key words are Up to .

Did you ever get 51 mpg on a full tank ?

1 Like

No, it won’t. Until the belt falls off.

That mpg range you posted depends on what option package, engine and transmission you have. None of which you told us.

1 Like

Lol…I don’t know what I was thinking. That calculation makes me feel a little better about my mpg.

According to Honda, 16V SOHC i-VTEC engine, 5 speed automatic.

Haven’t owned it that long.

Is this a new behavior? If it is, that’s a symptom of a stuck open thermostat, which hurts mpgs.

1 Like

According to the EPA your 1.8 liter (which you also didn’t tell us) engine gets 26 mpg city, 36 highway.

Why is it that 9 out of 10 posts complaining about their miles per gallon are not checking it the old way with paper and pen . I did not spend a lot of time but I could not find mileage numbers that high . Even the 2006 Civic Hybrid numbers were not that high.

1 Like

Because most car owners that have owned their cars for a long time can tell the fuel mileage has fallen off.

And they determine this by how much more often they have to pull up to the pump

Tester

Do these newer to me cars even have a temperature gauge that shows the coolant temperature as it warms up? Some are just dummy gauges now that are either normal or high.

Some do…some don’t. Depends on the car. Mine 14 highlander does. My wifes 07 Lexus does. My son’s old Mazda 3 didn’t - Just a light.

Some that have a gauge use other sensors to give the coolant temp reading. My Mustang measures cylinder head temp and software creates coolant temp from that.

It is actually a better fail safe… if the car loses coolant and uncovers the coolant temp sensor as it would in most cars, it will no longer read coolant temp or warn of an overheating condition. The cylinder head temp sensor will.

1 Like

My BMW has a temp gauge for the oil, bot only a warning light for coolant temp.

Might want to recalculate that.

2 Likes

Paper… And… Did you say, pen?

Is that something from the rotary dial telephone days?

Nowadays I think the kids are using digital typewriters or something. :wink:

I wonder how many kids today even know what a typewriter is. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Or a rotary dial phone or before that you had to pick up the phone to get the operator to get the number you wanted to call. :smiley: By the way that is one job that is not around anymore.

2 Likes

Even the ones that have this gauge are mostly fake. The needle will be in the same spot whether the coolant temperature is 185, 195, or 205 F (or whatever is set up as the “acceptable” band). You can however at least watch the temperature rise from “low” to “normal”.

The best way to get the real temperature anymore is with an OBD2 scanner paired to Torque app.

So the temperature sensor would not be able to read the temperature of the hot air / steam that would be surrounding it? It’s capable of sensing liquid temperature only? Or would that void be at a lower temperature for some reason?