No oil, damaged motor?

Best if you start your own thread. I posted this a few weeks ago for someone looking for a used 2014 Equinox.

I bought a 2013 Equinox new with the 2.4 DI 4 cyl. The pistons, rings, and a timing chain were replaced at 42k miles 3 years ago due to excessive oil consumption (1 qt/1500 miles) due to premature oil control ring wear. The repair was under warranty so no out of pocket cost. I have not had any problems since the rebuild, but I checked and maintained the oil level religiously once I noticed the oil level dropping. I first noticed a drop in oil level between the 20 and 25k oil changes. At 42k the dealer did an oil consumption and determined the 1qt/1500 miles oil consumption.

Oil changes were done every 4 to 5k miles with Dexos semi-synthetic or full synthetic oils so proper maintenance would not have prevented the oil consumption.

This thread has the details.

Note the oil consumption issue was for 2010 to 2012 models, I bought my 2013 in Nov. 2012 so I may have caught the tail end of it. I believe GM did offer an extended warranty on the 2.4 engine, I’m not sure of the details since I had mine repaired under the factory warranty. I don’t believe there was a recall, it was up to the individual car owners to do the research.

Ed B.