No gas in the tank

A couple of weeks ago I went to the gas station and was unable to fill the tank as the pump kept clicking off. I assumed it was a problem with the pump. Because I was in a hurry, I left and stopped at another station later in the day. I was able to pump 11 gallons into the tank, but the gauge still registered near empty. The local dealer told us it was a problem with the gauge and replaced a sending unit. This appeared to fix the problem, but yesterday morning when I stopped at the gas station, I was only able to pump 2 gallons because the pump kept clicking off. The gauge reads about 1/4 tank. Any thoughts?

You don’t specify the year of this Highlander so I am assuming it is a 2000 or better. The present gasoline vapor recovery systems pass the air/vapor exitting the tank through the vapor recovery canister. This is called Onboard Fueling Vapor Recovery. If there is something wrong with the vent valve or the canister that does not allow the air to exit easily, the incoming fuel will back up into the fill pipe and trip the pump nozzle.

These systems are pretty complex and require a knowledgeable technician to trouble shoot. So, you might run this by the Toyota dealer service department. Also, check to see if emissions warranty is still in force as that system would be covered.

Hope this helps.

When you fill the tank do you stop adding gas when the nozzle clicks off? Or, do you keep adding more fuel after the 1st click off, 2nd click off, etc. to make sure the tank is full up to the tippy top?

Some fuel pumps run faster than others and that can account for your problem. If you’ve been in the habit off filling your tank to the “tip top” then you might be suffering from overloading your cars vapor recovery system. That can get complicated and expensive on a Toyota.

“If you’ve been in the habit off filling your tank to the “tip top” then you might be suffering from overloading your cars vapor recovery system. That can get complicated and expensive on a Toyota.”

Yea, I just copied it. It deserves to be repeated. I believe UncleTurbo has it right.

I copied this information from a tech tip bulletin. Have your 12 volt battery tested, it may be weak.

Intermittent Difficult to Refill Fuel Due to Low
Auxiliary Battery.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2006-2011
Highlander HV
2007-2011
Camry HV
CONDITION
Customers may complain that intermittently the vehicle will not accept fuel.
When the fuel door is open during refueling, the Vapor Containment Valve (VCV) is energized allowing the fuel tank to vent vapor to the EVAP Canister. If the auxiliary battery voltage is too low, the VCV may not operate and the vehicle will not accept fuel.
RECOMMENDATIONS
Verify the auxiliary battery is in good condition by checking its state of health with the GR8 Battery Diagnostic Station. When refueling, reduce the load on the 12v system by turning the Ignition and headlights OFF.