- 2011 Nissan Sentra SL (including leather package)
- manufactured 03/2011, purchased 05/2011
- currently has 16,500 miles
- 35 miles one way for work each day (70 miles total)
- Live in Kansas, Wichita area. mostly highway driving 60-75MPH
the history of the nightmare:
- Barely two weeks after I bought the car the passenger front brake line failed and leaked fluid. The dealer told me the line was incorrectly or cross threaded which caused the failure and leakage. Took the dealer over a month to get the part and repair it. (side note during this time had three separate Nissan rental cars of the 2010 or newer lines. Two were Sentras and one was a Rogue.)
- After having the car back I noticed within the first month that my traction control was not working or at least not anyway similar to how it did originally. I took it into the dealer and they told me their were no error codes. They said they took it out and had tested it while driving and did not produce any error codes. They literally told me without an error code nothing was wrong with my car’s traction control. (side note I live on a dirt road which is about 1.5 miles of my drive to and from work.) After pressing further he told me that the car would have to be slipping sideways for it to engage. That day I turned sharper and a bit faster then normal onto my dirt road which is more then enough to cause the traction control to engage in my car as well as all 3 of the rentals I had. The traction control system did not engage despite the indicator light saying it was.
- Took it back into the dealer and told them the test I had done. Even told them how it would do it on all the rentals and in this car before it was in for the brake repair. They again told me that without an error code nothing was wrong with my car. Despite the fact I know the system is not working because when the traction control system engages it hard decelerates. Currently the car does nothing but flash the light when it supposedly engages. I even called and spoke to the Nissan reps who only repeated what the dealer said that nothing was wrong with my car because it does not have an error code.
- After the last check I had taken it in for the regular oil change and tire rotation. I ended up having to pull over and tighten my tire lugs because of the vibration from them not being tighten properly (couple were almost not at all). When I got home I ended up having to jack the car up and reseat/re-tighten all 4 tires properly. After that I have had issues with vibration related to the tires and balancing. Ended up paying to have the front two tires replaced which helped greatly with the ride issues. Traction control still not working though.
current status of nightmare:
- Recently within the last few weeks the vibration has started to return. This time it feels slightly different then it had before. I watched the back tires while driving and eliminated them as being possible off balance or having suspension issues. They moved smoothly and did not bounce all over with bumps in the road at speeds above 70MPH. Have not been able to take it out on a parallel drive to observe the front tires yet. Today it was raining and wet on my drive to work. the vibration was gone and the car was stable. The strangest thing is that for the first time my traction control system actually worked once. I was driving down my dirt road and thought I had hit some odd patch of deep sand or something till I looked down and my traction control light was blinking. This being the normal expected feel of the Nissan traction control system.
- With all that in mind and coming on having this car almost 1 year I am not sure whats truly wrong with it or what I can do to get this lemon fixed. There are other odd issues that come and go like metallic rumbles from the engine (happens completely inconsistently and no known way to get it to happen on demand), power drains and flickers my stereo’s LCD display, hiccups or surges in engine power for no apparent reason when cruising at a consistent speed (most often 60-75MPH). The vibration issues seem to always be most noticeable at about 50MPH and get progressively worse till about 65MPH where it feels the same even up to around 75-80MPH.
Thank you in advance for any help or advice anyone can provide.