Nissan Primera slipping alternator belt. New belt, correct tension, good alternator bearings, clean pulley

Agree Whitey! I had this happen on a Ford Granada; squealing belt and it was the A/C compressor seizing up. I put a smaller belt on used for the car without Air and lived happily ever after without air. Sold the car later for $700.

Since you stated that the battery voltage drops down to around 12.3 volts when the slipping happens I have to wonder if the something is loading the alternator down to the point that it canā€™t keep up with the current demand, instead of the alternator not working during that time period. That would put a lot of stress on the alternator and the belt. It would also cause a huge current draw on the charging system and I am not sure what could cause such a high draw of current. The only thing I can think of is a faulty battery cell possibly. If there is a high current draw occurring and causing this issue, then I would think that the main output lead of the alternator would get fairly warm to the touch.

I have a friend that had a similar problem, it turned out there was a small power steering fluid leak, just enough drips on the belt to cause a problem.

Youā€™ve got a couple good ideas. Iā€™ll just throw in that my Olds had three belts and I donā€™t remember anymore what ran what but my compressor seized. I never fixed it but either the belt burned off or I cut the belt off. At any rate there was no way, no matter how tight I made the belts, that I could get the squeal out of the alternator belt first thing in the morning. It would squeal for a block and then heat up enough to grab better and be quiet after that. Yeah everyone knew when I was leaving for work. Sold the car for $200. I suppose at that point with 400,000 miles could have been bad pulleys too, or the lack of a belt pulled it out of alignment, I dunno.

@db4690 Hi,
As I mentioned, both belts in car are v belts. Car does not have an automatic tensioner. Manual has a diagram with puling force in kg/lbs and deflection in milimeters/inches. It takes luggage scales, ruler and some dexterity too measure right tension. :slight_smile:

Hi, There is no possibility for this to happen in this car. Power steering pump is in engine internals, piping is in other side of the engine. Its longitudinal mounted engine.

@Cougar
Hi, Thanks for your answer.
This morning, before starting a car I plugged in a smart battery charger and raised V to 13,6. I started a car, and there was no slippage, It could be coincidence, because belt is currently tightened as a bow string (The looks of neighbors at 6 a.m. is too much to bear, even more than damaged alternator bearings :)) I think your theory might work out, and as it is not expensive to check, I will borrow a good battery and release belt tension in weekend and let you all guys know.

Yeah I know what you mean. When Iā€™d leave for work, my neighbors would hear the squeal and say there goes Bing. I guess when you are young, you can take a little humiliation.