Nissan navara d22 timing

Hello, I have just replaced the high pressure fuel pump on my Navara and it was my first time i really had to deal with the engines timing. I would say I was real careful and documented everything thoroughly.
Now that the new pump is in and the secondary timing chain is back in place, I tried turning the engine by the crankshaft using a wrench and it moves about ~40 degrees, then it stops. It feels like something is hitting and I feel like its most likely a valve hitting a piston, but how could I confirm this?
Or could the engines compression be that high that Im unable to turn it over by hand?
In the pictures below are the camshaft gears and aligning markings

This is the fuel pump gear

How about the crankshaft gear to fuel pump gear??

If you think it is the compression making it hard to turn over, simply remove the spark plugs, no compression then…

But it sounds like a valve to piston issue…

1 Like

Thank you for responding, Dave.
I took the valve cover off and checked every bump on the camshafts, and it looked like there were 4 valves open or atleast slightly open when the cam gears are aligned with the marks. Dont know if its supossed to be like that but I read in another forum about someone who had the same issue when turning over the engine by hand, and a guy commented that he needed to slowly turn both camshaft gears and crankshaft gear (separately) until pistons where in tdc and camgears lined up with the alignment marks, but this seems to be an extremely easy method to make things even worse…

Are all your marks lined up? There is a lot going on there, you probably need to get a service manual… Sounds like these engines are known for chain stretch also, probably a good time to buy a timing chain kit…

I found this…

Found this video, don’t have anything to compare it to so… lol

1 Like

Good advice, especially for a diy’er doing this sort of job the first time. Removing the spark plugs makes the job of lining up the timing marks considerably easier. OP is very wise to double check the valve timing by hand-turning the engine, checking carefully for interference.

Generally when doing this sort of a job – after removing spark plugs – you’d first put the number 1 piston at TDC-compression, note all the timing mark alignments, and not move anything until you reinstalled the chains. Did you proceed otherwise?

Could be very helpful

1 Like