Nissan Murano visor problem

I would suggest taking your car to a shop that does upholstery and trim work. These shops replace headliners in cars and have to remove and replace sun visors in the process. The upholstery and trim shop may have seen this problem and know what to do about it. I had an uphostery shop replace the headliner on my car and the shop recovered the sun visors as part of the job. The upholstery shop may be able to remove the cover on the sun visor, fix the problem and replace the cover or recover the sun visor with new material.

Sorry to hear of all your problems. I had the door lock thing too, but the fix worked for me (although I’m still a bit paranoid about letting the door close while the car is running). Everything else works just fine or they fixed it free. I have no vibrations.

A solution I hadn’t considered. Thank you!
I would have to get an estimate to see if that would be cheaper than just getting a visor from the junk yard. Now that spring is here with more sunlight, it’s becoming a bigger problem. Once some other priorities get taken care of, I will have to do something because holding the thing up with one hand while driving just isn’t a good idea.

I have a 2005 Nissan Murano and the SAME thing…suddenly the driver’s side sun visor drops down while driving. That’s a little bit of a problem when I’m driving…went to the dealer. They want $400 to replace/repair. I think given the fact this is a common problem with this vehicle Nissan should accept some responsibility. I have owned lots of cars…NEVER had this problem. I called Nissan and they won’t accept responsibility. They said my car is 2 yrs out of warranty. I reminded them I have an extended warranty. They said it’s not covered by the extended warranty…it’s a “trim” item. I reminded them this is a common/reoccurring problem. They said they look at each case on a case by case basis and do not look at other cars/situations. I asked about the criteria for a safety recall. She said she did not know the criteria but only knew it had to be a common problem. I asked her for the Nissan definition of “common” because I can provide her with lots of names. She said she did not know the definition; that area was handled by the people at Nissan who handle recalls. I asked if I could speak to them…she said NO because she did not know who they were…I asked if I could speak to her supervisor…she said NO, she would refer my call to them and they would call me back within 24 hours. I asked for her supervisor’s name, she said, NO…Nissan policy won’t allow her to give me the name.

Wow…customer satisfaction at its finest.

This is both an issue of safety and principle. I have done a number of searches and this IS a common and reoccurring problem. It’s also interesting that some owners ARE able to get Nissan or dealerships to handle the problem, while most are not successful. I have already contacted the LA Times (I think this could be an interesting safety story/issue on the heels of the Toyota debacle) and will file a complaint with the NHTSA. I’m not going to stop…I am preparing a letter of complaint which I will send to Nissan of North America. I think it’s ridiculous that there’s clearly a SAFETY problem which they refuse to acknowledge. They refer to the visor as an interior trim item which is not covered by the warranty…well most trim items don’t block my vision while I’m driving…

I am glad to hear someone is making an issue of this situation, lhs10587! I support you 100%.

Let me know if you need me to back you up with my experience with the visor (I was the first poster to this thread).

I agree that it is clearly a safety issue and not a cosmetic one. I have had good service from my dealer, but apparently Nissan Corp has decided not to address this particular problem, with the result that many dealers are not willing to absorb the cost of replacement/repair. (I considered calling Car Talk about it as a matter of fact, but have not yet done so.)

Please post your progress with Nissan of NA, The LA Times and NHTSA here so I can see it. I am going over to a couple Nissan discussion groups where I also saw this mentioned back when I first posted. I hope it is OK to point them to your post as well.

Good luck!