Nissan Altima Stalling

I have a 1994 Nissan Altima. One day a few weeks back, the engine decided to rev, but not turn over. This was attributed to a faulty distributor, which I had replaced. I picked the car up from repair shop. It drove fine for about an hour. Then it stalled twice before I made it home – both times while I was stopped at red lights.

I brought the car back to the repair shop. They adjusted the idle, but said they could find no other reason for its stalling and sent me on my way.

It drove fine for a couple of weeks, but then stalled again – this time while I was making a left turn after having been stopped a number of seconds to let traffic pass.

My main question is could the stalling be in any way related to the new distibutor? The car never stalled previous to this being put in and I’d like to be able to hold this shop liable for any further repairs if appropriate.

On the other hand, it’s an old car and it could be just a lot of #$%^&+* going wrong at once. So, my second question is: if this is not related to the disributor, any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this!

engine decided to rev, but not turn over

Does not make sense. Do you mean that the starter was turning the motor over, but it would not start and run on its own?

They adjusted the idle? The idle is not adjustable, it is controlled by the computer through the IAC. If they screwed the throttle stop screw in to adjust the idle, the the TPS doesn’t know that you took your foot off the gas pedal so it will not tell the computer to take control of the idle. This is now your current problem. If the throttle stop screw is set properly, then you are having a problem with the IAC, and that has nothing to do with the distributor.

If the original problem was as I described at the top of this reply, then they were probably right in replacing the distributor. The subsequent problem was not their fault, but their attempted adjustment is. They need to set the throttle stop screw correctly and then if the IAC is not working properly, that is a separate issue and its on you.