NGK Laser Iridium plugs

I installed some of these plugs in my 2009 Mazda CX7.

According to NGK, they should last 80 - 120K miles.

I feel like 80K would be good.

Is that what others have found?

Thanks,
Andy

NGK Laser Iridium
plugs feature an
iridium tipped fine
wire center electrode,
and platinum tipped
ground electrode.
These OEM style
plugs typically have
special features
designed for a
specific engine and
last 80-120k miles.

They should!

Tester

1 Like

Thanks.

Both Champion and NGK agree on the life of those plugs.

I don’t know offhand what specific plugs are OEM on my Mustang, but they were still fine after 100,000 miles. Modern plugs with modern ignition systems and fuel injection last a long time.

3 Likes

Most standard plugs in today’s cars last 100,000 miles as per the owner’s manual. Any premium plug on the market should last at least as long.
Gone are the days when every two years or so you needed new plugs.

Iridium plugs should last easily 100k miles. NGK is a quality plug manufacturer. I trust their plugs over all other plugs. They are my goto plug.

3 Likes

I have always been given the recommendation of using OEM plugs.

On most Asian vehicles and even Domestic vehicles (GM for one) - NGK are the OEM plugs.

2 Likes

Do the cheap, internet copy plugs work as well as real oem plugs?

They work as well when new. However they don’t ;as as long.

Remember in the past plugs were good only for about 10,000 miles.

The emission ;legislation changed all that since cars had to meet the “new” standard for at least 50,000 miles. Platinum plugs came next and with longer maintenance intervals it made sense to lengthen the change out even more.

To be honest plug longevity really hasn’t been much of an issue in the last decade or two… Ever since fuel injection and electronic computer controlled ignition timing, the plugs last just fine…even beyond when you would think they should be toast by the looks of the eroded things plugs turn into after many thousands of miles/years.

I would be more concerned with being able to get the spark plugs OUT… than how long they will last. For some inexplicable reason mfg’s seem to like to assemble everything dry these days. I am not a fan of this and never will be.

But plug longevity? They last a damn long time…

1 Like

My mechanic had no problems getting the old plugs out.

He did say the tips were burned off.

Tester

Meh… I do it anyway. It hasn’t bit me in the arse yet and dont expect it ever will.

What do you mean by Cheap Internet copy plugs?

That was several decades ago.

The first big improvement for plug longevity was Electronic Ignition. With points and condenser plugs lasted between 10k and 20k miles. Electronic ignition allowed you to use a wider plug gap. The first mod I’d ever do on any older vehicle is to upgrade a points condenser system to Electronic Ignition.

Fuel injection and computer controlled electronics helped a lot in overall performance, but little in spark plug longevity.

The next big improvement were Platinum plugs. This pushed plug longevity out to 60k miles.

Then cam Iridium plugs. With Iridium plugs they are now lasting 100k+ miles.

Please note that Iridium and Platinum plugs do not perform as well as standard Nickel/Copper Core plugs. They just last a lot longer.

And now some manufacturers (Mazda and Hyundai to name a couple) are designing a gas engine that doesn’t use spark-plugs.

Why in the world would you even consider using fake plugs in something so critical in your engine as spark plugs?

What are Fake plugs? I’ve never seen or heard of Fake Plugs.

I was referring to this.

“Do the cheap, internet copy plugs work as well as real oem plugs?”

Again…what are they? Are companies making spark plugs that actually say Toyota or Ford on them?

Evidence? Perform in what way? Is long life one aspect of performance?

I’d say they perform just as well except for longevity, where they may perform better.